When sending out your essays over CC...keep these things in mind
1. Anyone can steal your essay or its ideas
2. Be wary of posters that have a low post count
3. Do a little research on the person you're PM-ing your essay to. Does this person only have posts in this essay section, do they help out others, have they been ont his board in various places for a while, how much general knowledge do they have?
4. Is it the best idea to get advice from other high school students? Ask parents, family friends, other adults. I'm sure some at the parents' cafe would be happy to help.
5. Just because someone claims to be something...doesn't mean they are. A poster may claim to be a freshman at some college, but look to see if he/she really is. Look at their last 50 posts...just grazing by what they're talking about.
6. Never identify yourself. Don't give personal information. It's fien that you're getting help, but don't trust this person to where you're giving out personal info.
7. Never take anyoen's suggestions if they seem random or off-the-wall. Trust yourself. Some people will go to any length to ruin another's essay.
8. If someone is applying to the same schools as you...don't send them your essay. It's just tempting them.
9. Think about this. If an adult was watching you...would they trust the saem poster as you would?
10. Don't state what school you're applying to in the thread name. If someone sees a name like Harvard, Penn, Stanford, Duke, etc....they're ten times more likely to want to read it...to improve their own essay. This is wrong and is cheating...dont let it happen to you.