Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Posting my essay for all to see - I have no use for it anymore

Replies to: Posting my essay for all to see - I have no use for it anymore

• fizix2fizix2 Registered User Posts: 3,570 Senior Member
    hec2008, that was a really superb essay. Definitely one of the best I've ever read.

i agree :)
  • ee33eeee33ee Registered User Posts: 644 Member
    skunk, that essay sounds awfully familiar (UChicago essay thread?)
  • raiderfan4evaraiderfan4eva Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    can you guys post the schools you guys got into to please?
  • skunkskunk Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    ee33ee - You are right, that essay inspired my essay.:) I read the poem for the first time there, I loved it. I did some research on the poem, and read a lot of interpretations. Then I started tinkering about, just writing whatever I felt like writing, and then, in a time frame of about 5 hrs, this essay was born. Never meant to write this essay, it just happened!
  • dimpleyydimpleyy Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    Thank you so much for this thread!
    It really gave me some ideas about how my writing language should be. All the essays sound so creative.
  • i_am_strongi_am_strong Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    ee33ee-what did you write for the Common App "short answer"? The question says smthg like: what is your most meaningful activity and why.
  • Ren the SAT'erRen the SAT'er Registered User Posts: 2,303 Senior Member
    nice.hec2008 , ur essay got me thinking if i should write about my help to the china earthquake relief~~
    nice.
  • ee33eeee33ee Registered User Posts: 644 Member
    Why Swarthmore
    For many, suffering a computer crash is a mere annoyance; for me, it’s a tragedy. You may think that I’m being overly dramatic, but please understand that I’m afflicted with an ambivalent ailment that I like to call Wikipedia Disease. In my case, a technical mishap entails far more than just a loss of time. It involves a loss of connection to wide areas of interest, the disappearance of diffuse jewels of knowledge that are embedded in the 50 or so tabs that I usually have up on my Internet browser. 50 tabs at a time? Yes, and that’s a low estimate.

Often to my chagrin, my desire to “know things” gets the best of me. From Ron Paul commentary to Smolov training, my interests are capped only by the amount of time in a day. Yet each page I finish reading yields a bounty of additional subjects, as a short lesson in fatalism turns into opened tabs about determinism and John Calvin. A growing web of knowledge, my browser is a testament to the connectedness of ideas. It does not take much to pique my interest, at which point I feel compelled, even obligated, to explore the subject and its many tributaries. Is it any wonder that I hope to attend a college that truly does tailor education to meet students’ innate interests?

However, my aspirations and interests don’t just lie in the realm of academia. My business, running, and bodybuilding endeavors indicate that I can do more than just absorb ideas. They are proof that I can fully digest concepts, adapt them to fit my particular situations and idiosyncrasies, and then put action to words. Whether it’s supply-and-demand economics or the ideal macromolecule ratio in a bodybuilder’s diet, I cherish knowledge and learning, but I also believe that applying these ideas to produce results is an integral part of education. I want the best of both worlds. I seek to get things done in “the real world” by day, while delving the inner tombs of the “ivory tower” by night, with Swarthmore as my guide.
  • CCFanaticCCFanatic - Posts: 453 Member
    I thought skunk's essay on greed was creative and well written. The one on the toilet was too cliche for me.
    I think this is a good thread, lets keep it alive
  • olgitaolgita Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    Skunk's essay is all right - very creative indeed - but I think it spends too much time generalizing about humanity, and too little time talking about skunk himself.

Hec's essay is great. Maybe the topic is a little cliche, but the emotions practically came alive as I read it. Wonderful writing.
  • visionquest09visionquest09 Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    i love this thread beacuse I just like to see what works (transitions, descriptions)
  • xybcibaxybciba - Posts: 105 Junior Member
    This is an awesome thread! I've been so drained of ideas lately. I keep starting essays but they turn out utterly boring. New perspectives are so refreshing, just seeing other ppl's approach.
  • rofflezrofflez Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    interesting thread indeed
    Is anyone aware of another thread like this? Please share.
This discussion has been closed.