Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

should i write my essay on moving from the city to the burbs?

jassmynex3jassmynex3 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
edited May 2008 in College Essays
I'm currently a junior and I'm looking to get a head start on my essays. I want to write my main essay about how I lived on the West Side of Chicago , and how I attended a small mostly black and almost entirely colored Catholic school while I lived in an all Asian (Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, Fillipino, Arab etc.) apartment center for my entire life until my family moved when I was 10. We moved into 5000 square foot house in an extremely wealthy 95% white neighborhhood that is ranked by Money Magazine in the top 30 "Best Places to Live in America." I want to write about my feeling of having no definite identity because of being removed from the place that gave me a sense of identity and I how the standards of everything had changed. Clothes, looks, hair etc. were held to a different standard in the suburbs and how not "white" was not good, and how I didn't like the sames music or clothes or much with all the other girls in my suburban school and how alienated I felt. I also want to detail how I progress from an akward little 10 year old who was afraid of everything unfamiliar into a sociable outgoing and completely free 16 year old who learned to adapt and make connection with people who are nothing like me.

How do you all think that sounds? I just don't want the college adcoms to think I have a behavioral problem or that I'm rascist or something else that isn't true.
Post edited by jassmynex3 on

Replies to: should i write my essay on moving from the city to the burbs?

This discussion has been closed.