Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Consolidated List of Essay Readers on CC

Replies to: Consolidated List of Essay Readers on CC

• IvyGrad09IvyGrad09 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    edited August 22
    I've been reading and proofreading essays here for awhile, and am willing to continue.

I have some ground-rules based on experience:

Please make sure what you PM me is your final draft, already proofread and spell-checked.

Rough drafts are tedious. I simply will not help on them anymore.

Also, if your English writing skills (grammar, vocabulary, syntax) are not at upper high school or college level, rethink your overall strategy. Get yourself into a remedial class ASAP.

I will not help with crypto-English anymore.

College is not the time to sink because you don't have basic English down. I suppose it matters less if you major in science, but most US schools require other classes too.

BTW, I see multiple warnings on CC that folks are out to steal your essay. I think that overstates the case: I've seen only one or two outstanding essays among dozens, and they could not have worked for any other students.

Great college essays are non-transferable.

Also, there seems to be much discussion about "voice" from people who may know a lot about colleges, but evidently very little about writing.

Writers know that voice can change among uses and genres. Who is your reading audience? That is the question to ask. Your intended audience determines or contributes significantly to "voice": A good writer can have many voices, and a great writer, in particular, needs to have many voices. (Read Martin Amis as a great example of that.)

--So don't get caught up worrying about voice. Instead, as you write, picture your reader.

Someone sent me an essay clearly intended to test me. I detected immediately that it was written by a late-middle-aged woman who was not--shall we say--spectacularly interesting or well-educated. It wasn't the "voice" that tipped me off (and I told her I caught it,) it was the basic boring prose and unoriginal outlook.

When you write about something you're really interested in, you have fresh enthusiasm. Add to that the educational foundation necessary to write well, and your essay will fly all the banners and light all the fireworks. Admissions will notice.

Meanwhile, work at freewriting every day, so that you are fluid from thought to page. And work on your plain old writing skills: Grammar, punctuation, connecting ideas between paragraphs--and yes, please make sure there are paragraphs.

You may be a Gertrude Stein or an ee cummings and be a successful writer without structure. But most of you are better off following my advice.

Good luck!
  • kcgirl316kcgirl316 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    anyone willing to read my essay PM me please!!!
  • JP2378JP2378 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Would someone be willing to let me PM them my essay for them to read and give feedback on. Thanks in advance.
  • electrichapel9electrichapel9 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Would anyone be willing to read one of the final drafts of my essay?
  • mosescuhmosescuh Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    If anyone is willing to read my essay about chocolate, PM me!
  • hgrad2010hgrad2010 Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    I second @IvyGrad09's sentiments. I'd be happy to read essays, provided that they are final drafts and that they are free of spelling/grammar mistakes.
  • MyQwertyWalrusMyQwertyWalrus Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Hi! I would be thrilled if someone could review my essay- I've been lurking around the threads here for months and just made an account :) I didn't have anyone to proofread it or anything for me, and English admittedly isn't my first language, but I read over it a few times to proofread it myself, and my College English teacher just finished drilling us on grammar, so I probably didn't overlook any glaring errors!
  • SgtDonutSgtDonut Registered User Posts: 857 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm a professional writer looking to help prospective students with their application essays. I remember what it's like to be in your shoes and want to help out with quick reviews of your essays. If you want some feedback on the content, structure, grammar, and other aspects of your writing, send me a DM and share the Google Doc link to your essay. Best of luck with your applications!
  • sanjanagupta1sanjanagupta1 Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    Is anyone willing to read my common app essay (preferably college students or past). I'm applying ED to Duke and need some advice on my main essay. Thank u so much!
  • IreViaIreVia Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Hey I need someone to go through my Cornell supplement + common app essay for a Cornell ED as a CS major. Looking for first impressions, effectiveness, that sort of thing. Can't send DMs for some reason, any help is appreciated.
  • butterfly999butterfly999 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Hi! Would someone please take the time to read my common app essay on science fiction? It's finished, i would just appreciate some feedback on the overall impression the essay gives/how I could work on tone. Ty!
  • Baloneyb0iBaloneyb0i Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi! Would someone be willing to read my essay? I can't PM, since I don't have 15 posts yet. Thanks!
  • SoevereignSoevereign Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Hello everyone! I was curious if a good fellow would be kind enough to read my final personal statement for some important feedback and suggestions? I'm currently on my way to 15 posts, but would be happy if you could send me PMs! Most appreciated!
  • ABoysMusingsABoysMusings Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey! I know this must be getting really old, but is there anyone who would be willing to read my PS? I know its a lot to ask but I could really use some help with it (its my final draft). I can't PM anybody for some reason so it would be awesome if you could PM me. Thanks in advance!