Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Lefty short jew with hyperthyroidism??

MR2200MR2200 Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
edited September 2008 in College Essays
Well, I've lived a pretty normal life so I don't have anything really interesting to write about, would it be a good idea to right about my few unique qualities? I think I can expand on these things but I don't want it to seem like blah blah blah I overcame being different and learned blah blah blah. The only other interesting thing that happened to me was a broken leg and having to come back to make varsity tennis a week after while hobbling. Might I add, I'm missing senior yr soccer for the hyperthyroidism. Should I write about this or will it sound like your generic sob story?
Post edited by MR2200 on

Replies to: Lefty short jew with hyperthyroidism??

• ADadADad Registered User Posts: 4,921 Senior Member
    Write about whatever allows you to be the most personal, detailed, honest and revealing.
    sob story: a very sad story, esp. an account of personal troubles that is meant to arouse sympathy.

Don't write something that is aimed exclusively or primarily at arousing sympathy.
  • mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    My advice to my S was to write about what he really loved.

He said, "I don't want to write about violin. I'm sending in tapes." I said, "That's not what I meant. Write about your deepest, truest love." He quizzically asked, "Star Wars?" I answered, "Yup."

He wrote an awesome essay about his love for Star Wars and was accepted at U of Chicago, Williams, and Brown among others.

Of course, he demonstrated that Star Wars had led him up many interesting alleys, like Joseph Campbell's work on mythology, music composition a la John Williams, etc. etc.

So, there are topics everywhere.

You need to show you'd be an asset to their college. That's the point of the essay, that and that you have some writing ability.
  • MR2200MR2200 Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    I don't want to pitch it like a sob story, I just feel like it could be perceived that way.
    I think that you can rely on your readers to take your words at face value. If, however, you feel uncomfortable about this topic for any reason, then I would suggest that you try another idea. For example: I've found that it's always a good to take mythmom's suggestions seriously!
  • mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    ADad: How sweet, and right back at you.
This discussion has been closed.