Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How much can we wander from the 500 word limit?

cinnamon9724cinnamon9724 Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
edited September 2008 in College Essays
Like, can my essay be 510? What about 515?

I know people are going to say they don't count, but some essays say "around 500" while others include the word limit.

Do they actually mean LIMIT?
Post edited by cinnamon9724 on

Replies to: How much can we wander from the 500 word limit?

• OscularOscular Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    515 is okay. i would say 550 is going a bit overboard
  • ana ivanovic!!!ana ivanovic!!! - Posts: 475 Member
    well i'd say 550 is like the MAXIMUM. most of mine were like 470-490ish just to be on the short side (I think for essays like these, the shorter the better...as long as it's not too short). I think the longest one of mine is 535.
  • zephyravatarzephyravatar Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    lol, I actually wrote a 350 word essay, was very happy with it, and my guidance counselor loved it. I can probably say the same can be true with a 1000 word essay. Just do your best, but if the essay works, don't mess with it.
  • SoCalGal09SoCalGal09 Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    What I heard is to print it out from the application. If it's not truncated it will all be there to read. You need to decide if you've hooked your reader for those extra words or if they moved on to the next applicant in their pile of essays.
This discussion has been closed.