Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Essay Brainstorming/Ideas/Editing

tomjonesisthemantomjonesistheman Registered User Posts: 2,978 Senior Member
So I've been thinking about my essays for quite awhile. I've written a first draft of several essay topics. However, I just don't think they are that good. I just don't know how to write personally/honestly. It's hard for me to express my thoughts/ideas/experiences through a 500 word essay, because I don't know how to make it flow, connect the ideas, etc.

Does anyone have any advice for how I should approach my essays? How can I know if they will attract the readers' attention? How do I know whether or not they represent me well? Thanks!

People/books always say "make sure your essays represent YOU. write passionatelyon your interests, show don't tell, etc."

But my question is...how? Is it just a matter of rhetorical devices, and essay writing skills? I have a lot of experiences/ideas in mind, I just don't know how to write down my own thoughts on paper...
This discussion has been closed.