Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Michigan State Essay

Essay1010Essay1010 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited May 2010 in College Essays
Describe the enviroment you come from – for example, your family, your community, or school – and how this enviroment has affected or influenced your plans for the future.

Pushed To My Limits.

“Try harder!” I was sick of hearing those two words. How much harder could I work? How much harder could I push myself? Those two words were carved into my brain, engraved there to stay forever. I never felt like I was good enough. Constantly getting told by my parents that I could work harder, I was always being pushed to my limits. The only thing I could do was try to live up to their desires and try to make them happy with me.
All throughout my childhood, I would continuously hear stories of my fathers’ successes describing how my he was the only one out of all his siblings to graduate from college and have a well paying job. At a young age, I began to think that if I didn’t try hard enough I would be a failure. Every report card that I got I would rush home into our living room with its bright blue walls, excited to see my parents’ faces. With that that one ‘B’ staring them in the face, I would just get a blank stare. Disappointed in myself, because I felt I wasn’t “smart” enough, I left.
Many times when I think about my childhood, I become upset and angry towards my parents; why couldn’t they comment on my well comings rather then always looks at the negatives of everything? I was continually told that the only way to succeed in life was to get an education and to become a doctor. I would be viewed very highly if I achieved these two things, but I didn’t believe any of that was fair. Yes, I could try to achieve both those goals and make them content with me, but was that all that mattered? I think it is just as important to think about how I feel about things and about my happiness rather than just how I will be viewed.
I entered high school determined to get the highest grades possible, striving to make sure that I didn’t fall behind. Every time I took a test, I could hear my parents telling me in the back of my mind to try my hardest. My heart would beat uncontrollably when I would receive my report card, filled with excitement to see my grades. Yet, I felt they weren’t good enough.
It was about the end of my sophomore year that I soon realized that I no longer had to work hard in school to make my parents happy. I had to work in school to make myself happy. To achieve my goals in life, and not theirs. Those two words were imprinted in my mind and will stay there forever. However, they now represent something very different. When I think of those two words, I no longer see my parents. I see my future, what I will become
Post edited by Essay1010 on

Replies to: Michigan State Essay

• gingeralelovergingeralelover Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    You answered the essay topic well, but for me, what your writing about seems kind of "cliche". Maybe you should switch it up a bit, because quite frankly the "try harder" aspect of the essay is overdone. Clean up the grammar too. Other than that, everything seems great!

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.