right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

College of the Holy Cross Questions

maverickca77maverickca77 0 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi everyone,
I am planning on applying ED to Holy Cross but was just wondering how highly they consider legacy when evaluating applications. My mother and grandfather both went to Holy Cross so I'm just wondering if legacy matters at all.
My scores are ok and believe I have a good essay and recs.
Thanks
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: College of the Holy Cross Questions

• wisteria100wisteria100 4151 replies47 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,198 Senior Member
    Yes, Holy Cross is big on legacies and family connections, though it is not a guarantee. You could also apply test optional if you think your scores aren’t high enough.
    · Reply · Share
  • waverlywizzardwaverlywizzard 106 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    The common data set suggests that 81% of ED applicants are accepted. Taking athletes out of that it still leave a really great chance it would seem for a legacy who ED's to get accepted. They do value legacy and now value full payers after removing need blind application status. I'd look into whether you could do that, or are interested.
    · Reply · Share
  • HC2022HC2022 11 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11 New Member
    ^ The early decision process this past year was completely need-blind and it is supposed to stay that way. It was only during the regular decision applications when they became need aware.

But to answer your question, Holy Cross loves legacies.
    · Reply · Share
  • waverlywizzardwaverlywizzard 106 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    Are legacies held to lower qualifications standards. What is the chance a strong multiple legacy full payer with no honors or AP classes to submit by ED deadline would have. No EC.....
    · Reply · Share
  • LaxMassLaxMass 36 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    SInce ED skews wealthier in any case, any discussion of remaining need-blind on this self-selecting group (ED applicants) is essentially moot.

One would imagine a legacy applying ED (as a full payer) to HC with good grades (forget standardized tests as it is a test-score-optional school) has an excellent shot at acceptance.

81% ED is a very high number (the notion that a good number of qualifying student athletes at HC - as at other competitor schools - tend to enter via ED rather than via RD is essentially irrelevant)
    · Reply · Share
  • My5KiddosMy5Kiddos 120 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Does HC offer merit scholarships? If so, are SAT scores considered?
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28056 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,112 Senior Member
    Holy Cross will accept legacy applicants if they believe they can do the work at the college. They will no accept even a strong full pay legacy that does not appear to be able to do the work. They do not want to set someone like that up for failure. Such applicants are told to apply again as transfers. That’s rare event, however. Most applicants are well capable of doing the work.
    · Reply · Share
  • PortenioPortenio 28 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    @My5Kiddos Almost all of the scholarships are for need-based. Very limited merit scholarships are offered for Worcester residents and for music & classics departments.
    · Reply · Share
  • wisteria100wisteria100 4151 replies47 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,198 Senior Member
    ^^ The last 2 admissions cycles they did offer some merit beyond what @Portenio references, but is is not apparent on their website
    · Reply · Share
  • Btown1238Btown1238 8 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    They offer merit now and the pot is growing.
    · Reply · Share
  • My5KiddosMy5Kiddos 120 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 124 Junior Member

@Btown1238
    Since they are test optional are SAT used for merit? My son has high SAT scores but avg gpa but trended up....1550/3.6 unweighted/ 5.2 weighted (all honors/AP/ECE)

He visited HC and really liked it. We will go back this summer. We have 5 kids so cost is a consideration.
    · Reply · Share
  • Btown1238Btown1238 8 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    GPA/class rigor perhaps the most important features of application. Recently merit has gone to students with high accolades generally— not necessarily high SAT. They are slowly upping the merit ante (hoping to endow more of this fund) as many slightly lower caliber schools seem to be offering a substantial merit discount which steals kids that otherwise were intending to attend HC.
    · Reply · Share
  • LaxMassLaxMass 36 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    edited June 25
    Regarding @My5Kiddos question it seems SAT/ACT test scores are frequently utilized at test-score-optional schools as a basis for academic merit aid. While this might seem a bit contradictory, one has to remember that the kids with the higher scores (and 1550 fits well within the range of a higher score at HC) tend to submit their test scores in any case. Because GPAs (varying from high school to high school) and rankings (where they even exist) are problematic comparators one can see the advantage of utilizing test scores as a major determiner for academic merit aid. (Anecdotally, it seems HC has been offering about 10K (?) in academic merit aid to its strongest applicants the last couple of years ...this is beyond the limited - but established - music and classics offerings.)
    edited June 25
    · Reply · Share