Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How difficult is it to keep fish in college?

2»

Replies to: How difficult is it to keep fish in college?

• luckylillyluckylilly Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    If you get a betta, all you need to do is buy a couple of gallons of spring water. You can just have the one fish in a container, so you will only need a gallon or 2 of water to set it up. You then keep a gallon handy to top it off as it evaporates.

I would not recommend getting a big tank at all. Even a 20 gallon is going to be a lot of work. If you want something pretty and relaxing just get a betta and a nice clear vase.

It will take a little time to get the tank going. What i mean is that it could get cloudy at first and you will need to do a water change. I wouldn't totally clean it, just pour most of the water out and refill with the spring water. I guess it needs some bacteria in there to get to a healthy level so that it stays pretty clean.

I have a bright red betta with a spiky looking tail and fins(forgot what it is called exactly) in a tall vase(maybe 18 inches) that holds maybe 2.5 gallons of water. It sits right on my desk. The small aerator keeps bubbles going and there are plants and tons of tiny snails that came with the plants. It stays very clean. Just be sure to get plants that have roots, otherwise they will just make a mess.
  • manders93manders93 Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    I'm taking mine next year. I have a betta, and he lives in a 1.7 gallon bowl on my desk. I change the water and wash out the pebbles and whatnot in his bowl once a week. It takes like 20 minutes. I don't need that much to use for cleaning (small bucket, milk gallons for new water, little bottle of water conditioner, and a sponge), and I have a sink in my room. I'm hoping it wont be too hard.
  • spectasticspectastic - Posts: 847 Member
    I've always wondered what would happen if you put two hungry snakeheads together in the same tank.
  • WouldYouKindlyWouldYouKindly Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    @FishMetalChem You are the best person ever.

I wonder what they think you have hiding behind the huge dark curtain they can't ever look behind.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,334 Super Moderator
    Please use old threads for reference only.
2»
This discussion has been closed.