Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard life: Little sex, even less drugs

Replies to: Harvard life: Little sex, even less drugs

• insomniaticinsomniatic - Posts: 1,287 Senior Member
    lol That wasn't all of them. Are you really going to argue with me on this?

" Abma JC et al., Teenagers in the United States: sexual activity, contraceptive use, and childbearing, National Survey of Family Growth 2006–2008, Vital and Health Statistics, 2010, Series 23, No. 30."

"5. Martinez G et al., Teenagers in the United States: sexual activity, contraceptive use, and childbearing, 2006-2010 National Survey of Family Growth, Vital and Health Statistics, 2011, Series 23, No. 31."

"10. Guttmacher Institute, Minors’ access to contraceptive services, State Policies in Brief (as of October 2011), 2011, <http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_MACS.pdf>, accessed Oct. 19, 2011."

And I can keep going on and on.
    You may want to learn how to cite things.

I didn't even state that statistic, but here it is:

"On average, young people have sex for the first time at about age 17,[2,3] but they do not marry until their mid-20s.[4] This means that young adults may be at increased risk for unintended pregnancy and STIs for nearly a decade or longer."
    I stated this statistic: "Although only 13% of teens have had sex by age 15, most initiate sex in their later teen years. By their 19th birthday, seven in 10 female and male teens have had intercourse.[1]"

1. Abma JC et al., Teenagers in the United States: sexual activity, contraceptive use, and childbearing, National Survey of Family Growth 2006–2008, Vital and Health Statistics, 2010, Series 23, No. 30.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,833 Senior Member
    I was referring to the 17 statement. 2,3. I'm done here.
    I was referring to the 17 statement. 2,3. I'm done here.

Of course you are knowing you are wrong. You are hilarious.

MY FACTS are not 6-10 years old.
  • broken_symlinkbroken_symlink Registered User Posts: 690 Member
    I'm surprised so many of them haven't smoked weed.
  • ShankistShankist Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    STD Rates by Age

Wow these people are such humongous losers for not having sex. Maybe they would be cooler if they joined the rest of the 1 in 6 individuals who have genital herpes.

I mean, they could at LEAST be doing some kind of drug. They could at least start binge drinking and blacking out, because hey, you've only got 4 years for it to be cool. After that it's called alcoholism.
    Wow these people are such humongous losers for not having sex. Maybe they would be cooler if they joined the rest of the 1 in 6 individuals who have genital herpes.

I mean, they could at LEAST be doing some kind of drug. They could at least start binge drinking and blacking out, because hey, you've only got 4 years for it to be cool. After that it's called alcoholism.

haha I love your sarcasm.
  • dunbardunbar Registered User Posts: 1,376 Senior Member
    I had to laugh at "sex, drugs, and consulting."

Also, the mean GPA of 3.64 was surprisingly high (even if the survey did suffer from self-selection bias).
  • SeanSmithSeanSmith Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I never take those types of statistics too seriously, I mean not every woman is going to answer a survey like that completely honestly and may not admit to multiple partners.

Also, if guys at your uni are being affected by erectile dysfunction I found this hilarious info-graphic called Flaccid Truth Erectile Dysfunction here:

Dr Fox - The Flaccid Truth About Erectile Dysfunction
    It is a really informative but funny way in explaining the multiple ways that we can get erectile dysfunction with fitness and nerves being some of them

The illustrations did make me chuckle. Hope this helps!
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,373 Senior Member
    Also, the mean GPA of 3.64 was surprisingly high (even if the survey did suffer from self-selection bias).
    Not really. Various websites claim that Harvard had a mean GPA of 3.48 in 2004. I couldn't find any more recent numbers, but it stands to reason that the mean GPA has only gone up...
  • astarisborn94astarisborn94 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    70% of all teens have sex in the USA?

Am I the only one who finds this to be sad that so many teenagers ignore the warning of unplanned pregnancies and STDs to at least some extent?

I hope I'm not the only one who actually likes being a virgin since it means pregnancies can't happen and STDs are also less likely.
  • PhilovitistPhilovitist Registered User Posts: 2,739 Senior Member
    70% of all teens have sex in the USA?

Am I the only one who finds this to be sad that so many teenagers ignore the warning of unplanned pregnancies and STDs to at least some extent?

I hope I'm not the only one who actually likes being a virgin since it means pregnancies can't happen and STDs are also less likely.[/quote

Individuals who use condoms are ignoring no warnings at all.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,373 Senior Member
    There's a difference between ignoring a warning and making a conscious decision to take the risk. The same way that you are consenting to the risk of a traffic accident every time you enter a car.

By the way, we are statistically more likely to die in a car accident than to be involved in a teenage pregnancy.
  • UnusualAsianKidUnusualAsianKid Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I just stumbled on this thread xD Okay [email protected]!um. Say that to the 30+ girls in my CLASS who are all pregnant. And my best friend who just had a baby two months ago. Frankly, putting off sex is a smart way to go. Unless you're very, VERY well protected (birth control 5 months MINIMUM, condoms, etc.), I don't think sex is a wise option. I'm 17, turning 18 in about two weeks and I have never had sex. I don't see how that's something to be ashamed about. Personally, I wouldn't judge anybody that has.

I worked maternity/STD's for about 2 1/2 years. It's a little scary but you should see how many teens come in not knowing the facts and then they get pregnant. Tons of 17-20 year olds come in freaking out about an STD or suspected pregnancy. If you're going to do the dirty, be smart about it.
This discussion has been closed.