Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I have the right perspective?

tomjenningstomjennings Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
edited May 2012 in College Life
I just finished my first year at a Big Ten school, and I think I might have the wrong perspective in mind. I came into the year wanting lots of A's so I could transfer to my top choice school that rejected me. I mostly scoffed at what my professors said, but I went along with them and listened to them just so I could get on their good side and get A's. I did not spend a lot of time studying. I like learning, but I prefer teaching myself. Over the school year, I read probably 100 nonfiction books just for fun. When I had to study, I did and got a 3.99 GPA. In the future I want to go to a top-tier law school, and I am willing to do what I have to to get into one. The only things I have in mind are a 3.95 GPA and a 175 LSAT and a couple of internships and club memberships

Basically, I am looking at college too mechanically and methodically, or in other words I know what it takes to get where I want to go, but rather than enjoying the ride and benefitting personally from it, I just want to get it over with and do my own thing.

Is there anything wrong with thinking this way?
Post edited by tomjennings on

Replies to: Do I have the right perspective?

• 3weeks3weeks Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    After attending a university, many more of my thoughts and memories surround the school work and down time rather than the often noted public campus enviornment or social events at universities; I think college is more about the opportunites, work wise.
  • JDE1221JDE1221 Registered User Posts: 531 Member
    It's both. It's the best time to socialize, have fun, network, and enjoy free time before you're immersed in the working world. Don't waste these years.
This discussion has been closed.