Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do you ever get depressed about your college choice?

2»

Replies to: Do you ever get depressed about your college choice?

• LivingOxymoronLivingOxymoron Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    Yeah, sometimes. Especially when I look at the lives of my friends who went out of state to places like Seattle and New York. Everyone wants to be some place new and exciting, but new and exciting is expensive. I could afford in state tuition at the state flagship, and they had my major, so that's where I am. It's not really exciting, I don't fit in super well, but I won't have any debt when I graduate so I guess I made the right choice.
  • sweetlacecharmsweetlacecharm Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    Yep. I wanted to go to UC Irvine because it's my dream school, but I got rejected and am now stuck here at UC Davis, which is the only school that accepted me. And as much as I'd like to transfer, I'm probably over the unit limitations for transferring. Plus, it'd a hassle to move all my stuff up here down to SoCal. The campus here is pretty and I've met some friendly people, but I can't help but feel disconnected from everyone. I get this feeling that I just don't belong.
  • bcotton530bcotton530 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    Oh, thank heavens! I thought I was the only one going through this. I go to a good school, a really good school - not quite Ivy League but "prestigious" but something just feels... wrong. I'm almost done with my first semester and I'm not happy here. I can't wait to go home. And when I went home for Thanksgiving, I didn't want to come back. It's not the academics that's throwing me off, and it's not the location, it's just the experience I'm having here. I feel very disconnected from others, even my own roommates.

It just doesn't seem right.
    And I was so excited when I got accepted...
  • tomofbostontomofboston Registered User Posts: 2,373 Senior Member
    It's not the academics that's throwing me off, and it's not the location, it's just the experience I'm having here. I feel very disconnected from others, even my own roommates.

You may want to talk with a school counselor to find out what the problem is. If you transfer to another school without discovering this, you may be unhappy there too. The issue may be you and your expectations.
  • michplusdichmichplusdich Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    I was depressed about my college decision when I was in high school. I did very well academically in high school and applied to many prestigious universities, only to be turned down by almost all of them. I ended up going to a state school because it seemed alright after staying with a student there during my senior year and because they offered me an amazing scholarship. My tuition is covered; the only things I'm paying for here are dorm rooms, food, and textbooks.

When I first started college there, I felt really depressed being at such a big school and thought it wouldn't be a good fit. I then found great friends, excellent professors and academics, a LARGE diversity of people, and I felt much happier. I do occasionally now and then wonder what it would have been like if I had gotten into a better school, and sometimes I think what happened to me turned out for the best. I feel like I have a better chance to stand out academically at my school and not be constantly in an environment where the pressure to get a 4.0 GPA never leaves you.
2»
This discussion has been closed.