Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

asking for a letter of recommendation without an immediate need?

strongbeans12strongbeans12 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Life
Hello, is it okay to ask a professor for a letter of rec eventhough I'm not sure how I'll put it to use yet? I'm a sophomore and this is the first time I feel like I've semi connected with a professor. I might need the letter for internships and programs for next year
Post edited by strongbeans12 on

Replies to: asking for a letter of recommendation without an immediate need?

• purpleacornpurpleacorn Registered User Posts: 1,559 Senior Member
    In 90% of cases, you should never see your letter, so it's unlikely that if you ask for one now they will just /give/ it to you.

What typically happens is you stay in touch with the professor after you leave their class- write them a nice note at the end of the semester, visit them twice a semester or so, email them little updates maybe another one or two times each semester. That way, when you do end up needing the LoR, they have a semi-good idea of who you are and you have stayed in contact with them. Typically, also bring your coursework you've done for them with you as well when you request the letter.
  • strongbeans12strongbeans12 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    great thanks for the tips. im doing research wiyh her during the break so i'll def keep in touch
This discussion has been closed.