Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Giving up my dreams

asianamericansonasianamericanson Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
edited December 2012 in College Life
I've always been told to pursue my life's dreams and to do what I love to do...but I'm not so sure that's true. Now that I'm declaring my major, I feel almost obligated to give up what I would love to become in order to be a social worker, since I see so much need there, especially where I'm from. I'm not so sure what to do, is doing what you know is right more important than choosing what you love?
Post edited by asianamericanson on

Replies to: Giving up my dreams

• scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 3,011 Senior Member
    What is it that you love? Many times there is a way to incorporate your passion with another career. For instance, music and art can definitely be used to help/counsel kids or to help adults recover from bad circumstances. Business or management skills can be use to make non-profits more effecient and to make most of limited resources. Political/language knowledge can help you to work more easily in other parts of world. Don't give up on using all your skills to find a unique fit in the world.
  • ThisMortalSoilThisMortalSoil Registered User Posts: 928 Member
    When I was in high school, I dreamed of being in the Air Force or being a pilot. I wanted to apply to Embry-Riddle and get a CPL and all of that. Or join the USAF, serve for 4 years and become a US citizen, then go to college and do ROTC and become a pilot. Instead I first tried engineering, then undeclared, now business.

I wish I had pursued my dream.

What is is that you have to give up to become a social worker though?
  • bungalowdwellerbungalowdweller Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    asianamericanson---The best way to help others who are less fortunate or have "need" is to become successful in your dream! Only when YOU are living your dream are you in the best position to help others. Many corporations/organizations have active corporate volunteerism. You can help needy communities in MANY ways as a consultant, etc. With all due respect to social workers, they help to navigate people through the various government systems. YOU would be in a much better position to authentically help people being in the for profit world!
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,700 Senior Member
    With all due respect to social workers, they help to navigate people through the various government systems. YOU would be in a much better position to authentically help people being in the for profit world!

There are also lots of other types of work one can do in the charitable or non-profit world. It depends on what one's dream is. But if social work is not something one wants to do, it is probably not the right major and career choice.
  • ThisMortalSoilThisMortalSoil Registered User Posts: 928 Member
    I agree with bungalowdweller. Get poor people to sign loans with outrageous terms.
  • bungalowdwellerbungalowdweller Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    I never said such a thing, Soil! Why read into my comments?
  • teachandmomteachandmom Registered User Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
    You should choose the path that your heart tells you to follow. If you see so much need around you, there are other ways you can help besides becoming a social worker. A business person could offer jobs and internships to underpriviledged kids, or a musician could hold benefit concerts to support an after school program, etc. You can still help the world without sacrificing your career. YOU have to work at that job, so you better choose a career you enjoy getting out of bed for every day!
  • boysx3boysx3 Registered User Posts: 5,164 Senior Member
    Don't you think you are being a little bit melodramatic?

I'm not sure why you think being a social worker is the only way to help people in your community.

You can become a teacher, a doctor, a nurse, a banker, a businessman....there isn't any career out there that you cannot bend to help others.

For example, a major in econ or business.....you can get into micro-banking/micro-lending, or open a business or training program to provide good employment in the area of need, you can work for non-profits etc.

journalists.....so many ways you can help your community
  • asianamericansonasianamericanson Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    lol, it's not like my dream is to be WHATEVER....

I wanted to go into ancient philosophy (you know, Plato, Aristotle) which is basically useless for social work. And social work IS important for what I am feeling I should do, namely taking care of old folks in China where a lot of people have dumped their parents because they're a burden.
  • boysx3boysx3 Registered User Posts: 5,164 Senior Member
    You "want to go in to ancient philosophy"....and do what with it ? Do you want to teach? Write? Go to law school?

And what is to stop you from double majoring, taking all of the philosophy classes you desire while also pursuing a degree in social work? or nutrition, geriatrics, psychology? or an undergrad degree in philosphy, and an MSW?
    Yeah, that double major route is what I'm thinking about doing but I'm already a junior so I'm not sure If I can really make the unlikely lateral.
  • ExaltedAlmightyExaltedAlmighty Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    lol, it's not like my dream is to be WHATEVER....

I wanted to go into ancient philosophy (you know, Plato, Aristotle) which is basically useless for social work. And social work IS important for what I am feeling I should do, namely taking care of old folks in China where a lot of people have dumped their parents because they're a burden.

Classsics is a pretty pliable major. You could go into Psychology with a Classics major or do what Boys said and double major. While social work isn't exactly competitive, having a double major would probably make you stand out.

I'm glad your interest lies in caring for the elderly in China. Most social workers who deal with kids in this country are pious, self-praise-seeking control freaks. When I was a kid, my friend went into foster care because his parents smoked weed, and the lady stomped all over their rights.
    Yeah, I'm leaning toward that direction. And I didn't know social workers in the States were like that...lol, I only know one and she's pretty laid back...
  • Shapiro529Shapiro529 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    If you do what you think is right but do not like it, you may cause more harm than good. I study criminal justice and I see a lot of things with people in law enforcement getting burned out and then becoming corrupt. The same sort of thing happens in all fields.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,700 Senior Member
    And social work IS important for what I am feeling I should do, namely taking care of old folks in China where a lot of people have dumped their parents because they're a burden.

But how much does social work in the US apply to the social work type of problems in China? The 4-2-1 problem* is likely much more common in China than in the US.

*Means 4 grandparents and 2 parents that 1 person may have to (but have difficulty being able to) support in their old age, due to the one child policy that has been around for a few decades.
This discussion has been closed.