Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Regularly sleeping through one class.

ExaltedAlmightyExaltedAlmighty Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Life
So I've been having problems with a roommate that was regularly waking me up at night to noise. I'll be sorting that out, but because of a lack of sleep, I rely a ton on my phone to wake me up. Once I slept through my phone alarm. Lately, my phone's been having power problems and shutting off at night. I missed a couple of classes because of that. Then I started relying on my PC, until my freaking campus security software cut me off to make me randomly log back in.

I know it's all BS excuses that are my fault, but I've missed five classes so far. It's a small Latin class. Is there any way to approach the professor and regain a little respect without insulting him with my retarded problems? I don't plan on lying to him, but I want him to know I'm serious about his class, and I love doing Latin. How do I make that clear when I keep skipping?

For the record, in all my other classes, I have a high GPA, especially in my major, which this class falls under. I'm pretty serious about school and passionate about my major.
Post edited by ExaltedAlmighty on

Replies to: Regularly sleeping through one class.

• ladeeda6ladeeda6 Registered User Posts: 508 Member
    I wouldn't bother saying anything to him but I would buy an alarm clock from where ever and just make sure to get up.
  • Big10ChampBig10Champ Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    ^ Agreed.

Do not contact your professor. Get up for class and find a way to make it happen. Inject Red Bull intravenously if you need to.
  • AxelrodAxelrod Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    Worth talking to the professor to see if he/she can offer an alternative resolution (such as retaking the class without suffering any current penalty--assuming that the drop/add period is over).
  • ExaltedAlmightyExaltedAlmighty Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I did end up buying an alarm at the university shop the other day. Then I realized too late it's only powered by triple A's and is a cheap piece of crap. I slept through it this morning, and my PC as a backup d/c'ed again, but by total chance, I woke up right before class. I have no freaking clue what to make of my luck. I'm glad this semester's almost over, so I can fix my phone. I actually got inside it, but the micro usb port, that's loose and won't let it charge, is soldered in. Damn, I miss that thing as an alarm.

Anyway, my issue is really with the professor. He takes attendance pretty seriously, and I have to have him in future classes. I really need him to take me seriously since that's a huge deal with grades. Dropping or retaking is kind of extreme because I'll probably get a low B even though my quiz grades are A's. I guess I just want to know if anyone thinks it's possible to approach him about it without seeming pathetic (because it obviously is pretty pathetic).
  • HumanoidHumanoid Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    I would approach him after a class or in his office hours or something and tell him you're really sorry for missing the classes. Just say something like "sorry I missed all of those classes, it was my fault and I'm working to solve the problem." Don't ask for extra credit or a way to make up the points, just own up to it and let him know you didn't mean to disrespect him.
  • AxelrodAxelrod Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    Nope. It'll seem pathetic because it is. Nevertheless, you still should consider doing so.
  • ExaltedAlmightyExaltedAlmighty Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Nope. It'll seem pathetic because it is.

Yeah, I know. I still want to own up.
    Nevertheless, you still should consider doing so.

There's no way dropping a B course can be a good idea. I'd definitely get a W, which is going to make law schools assume the worst. It just looks really bad.
This discussion has been closed.