Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Communications vs mass communications

Seachai86442Seachai86442 - Posts: 895 Member
edited December 2012 in College Life
Hey guys,

I am thinking about going for a masters degree in either one of the fields after college. However, does anyone here know which degree is better and more useful?

Thanks?
Post edited by Seachai86442 on

Replies to: Communications vs mass communications

• stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,894 Senior Member
    What is it you want to do with the degree? A "communication" degree will probably be broader in focus, including perhaps interpersonal, mass, public relations etc, while a "mass communication" degree is likely to be grounded in traditional broadcast media with some print media included.

There are MA/MS degrees in journalism, broadcasting, social/digital media, public relatiions, advertising, integrated marketing communication, photography, management/organizational communication, comm theory etc...which I suspect might give you better credentials than a generic "communication" degree.
  • Seachai86442Seachai86442 - Posts: 895 Member
    I thought communication degree is suppose to be worthless nowadays, and mass communications degree will rather offer broad range of opportunities in the real world.
  • donnawhitedonnawhite Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Due to some of points the Communications is worthless and have no value these days instead you have to go for mass communications which i think far better to choose than Communications.
    Is a masters in mass communications going to look better than a masters in Journalism too?

I am very oriented on public speaking and enjoy writing sometimes, but I don't want to pursue English, for reason is because reading is far more existent in the program, and intensive.
    Bump.. can anyone answer the above for me?
This discussion has been closed.