Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Freshman Year - Spending Money

jdartfanjdartfan Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited April 2013 in College Life
I am just about done with my freshman year of college and was looking over how much money I spent over the course of the year. (This doesn't include books, tuition, meal plans, or room & board).

Additional School Supplies - $100
*I'm an art student, so this is mainly things like paint, paper, pencils, etc.

Personal - $200
*Clothes, restaurants, etc.

Does this seem like a lot?
How much should I budget for next year?
Post edited by jdartfan on

Replies to: Freshman Year - Spending Money

• Niquii77Niquii77 Registered User Posts: 10,104 Senior Member
    You ONLY spent $200 your freshman year?

That's great!

I spend more than that a semester and I'm a senior in high school!
  • okstategirlokstategirl Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    That's definitely not a lot... I go through about $300 a month. But that includes restaurants, grocery shopping, gas, and my phone bill.
  • harvestmoonharvestmoon Registered User Posts: 952 Member
    Geez! I can spend about $200 in a day if you count car repairs and the like!

I think that's great. Definitely don't think you're spending too much. The more money you can save, the better, but don't be afraid to go out and spoil yourself every now and then :)
  • Sdgal2Sdgal2 Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    Please...talk to my daughter!! She can spend that in a week! In all seriousness, that really is a very, very small amount. I applaud your frugalness but, if you have the ability to do so, I would budget a little bit more and treat yourself every once in a while.
  • angelmichellexangelmichellex Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    I spent an average of $200 per month while in school. With a dining plan. Increased expenses went to medicine and gifts.
  • BuegieBuegie Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    Cannot be real..that's like my weekly bar tab
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,570 Senior Member
    I'm really confused as to how an art student only spent $100. Did you only take like one art class?

You need to budget a LOT more if you're going to continue taking art classes.
    I just assumed that OP was a crazed couponer who scouted yard sales in the town over to get by...
  • nauethnaueth Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Yeah I was wondering about OP being an art student and spending that little.If anything, we spend more than the average student on printing and supplies. $100 a year does not cut it; maybe 100 bucks a month lol
    This guy be trollin'....:rolleyes:
  • RandohandoRandohando Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Wow you are insanely frugal! Very impressive. I spend that much in 2-3 weeks and I'm not even in college yet
  • DavinitallDavinitall Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Between alcohol, drugs, late night munchies, ect I probably spend ~$100-150 a month at school
This discussion has been closed.