Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

freshman rooming

bridgezonbridgezon Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
edited April 2013 in College Life
Would like a few more opinions, please. My son has a friend from high school who will also be starting as a freshman at his college. He is debating between requesting a single or a double, leaning towards a double, and thinks that if he requests a double he wants to be with his friend. Everyone who I've asked says that this is a really bad idea - they need to branch out, they'll have 4 friends if they each have a roommate, etc. I totally agree. What do you think?

The other family wants them to be roommates and I'm also afraid that if my son requests a double, not with this kid, they may be offended.

I also kind of think a single could be good - then you can sleep and study when you want, but I can also see why he'd want a roommate.
Post edited by bridgezon on

Replies to: freshman rooming

• Horsey7959Horsey7959 Registered User Posts: 387 Member
    Ultimately, the decision should be about what's best for him. It's nice to think of the other family, but I think if you're open and honest with them, they'll understand. I'd think it would be best to be in a double with a new roommate. Being in a single can be isolating, from what I've heard.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,948 Senior Member
    Have your son and his friend evaluated how compatible they will be as roommates?

If the school's dorms have a roommate questionnaire, perhaps each of them can fill it in separately, then compare answers to see how compatible as roommates they are likely to be.
This discussion has been closed.