Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Studying and academics living on campus vs off campus

successfightersuccessfighter Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
Did you feel like living off campus inconvenienced you in regard to your study habits/academics, or did it change it all as opposed to living in the dorms? I'm thinking of moving off campus next year but want to know if there were any major differences regarding academics or if you just eventually adjust.

Replies to: Studying and academics living on campus vs off campus

• happyramenhappyramen Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    I live on campus and love it but I know people who did live off campus and most of them wished they stayed on. If you go to a city school with good public transportation or have a car with parking it might be okay, but overall I still advise living on campus. When you live off campus, you may have to stay in the lounge or library between large breaks btwn classes or to wait for a club or event. It can get very inconvenient, especially with the commute. Academically, living off campus also means you most likely can't conveniently meet up with dorm mates to study together at night or to ask quick questions when you want to. Plus, you generally have to wake up earlier in the morning.
  • smurray09smurray09 Registered User Posts: 858 Member
    I used to live off campus. I can't really tell if I'm doing better on campus or off right now since I've only been living on campus for 1 semester. @happyramen is right about living off campus being inconvenient. I did notice that when I was living at home, I didn't have the ability to do things that could've increased or helped my grades like go to tutoring, it was even more difficult for me because I relied on family members go give me rides, which they became very annoyed with. Also, I could only go to class at certain times, where I used to live the transportation system was horrible plus it's something that I'm not used to taking so I had to get other people to take me places (I didn't go anywhere but school and back home). If you have the ability/money to live on campus, do it.
  • successfightersuccessfighter Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Ok well for my school the apartments are very close to the school itself so commuting back and forth wouldn't be an issue since its a bike ride away. Im mostly concerned with if study habits change due to different environments, responsibilities etc. Most of the people at my school move off campus their second year so its a pretty normal thing here.
  • baktraxbaktrax Registered User Posts: 2,563 Senior Member
    Those things are all going to depend entirely on you. I don't know anyone personally (including myself) who changed significantly as a student living on campus vs. living off campus, besides the usual transportation issues (skip more classes because they're lazy and it's too far or too early or the weather is bad, don't want to make a trip to campus to go to a review session or office hours, maybe don't participate in as many clubs or anything). If it's easy for you to get to campus, then I don't really see any of those issues. It's just a matter of you as a student.
  • sweetlacecharmsweetlacecharm Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    I live off-campus and nope. In fact, my own room serves as a better study environment for me than anywhere at my university. For example, the library, although quiet, is too "noisy" for my liking (by noisy, I mean the sounds of footsteps and people coughing/sneezing/clearing their throat/turning a page in their books).
  • harvestmoonharvestmoon Registered User Posts: 954 Member
    I have done both. I have a 45-60 minute commute from my house, and I commuted the W '13 and S '13 semesters.

To be honest, my academics were the highest last winter. Granted my classes were easier, but I didn't have as many distractions. This semester is my hardest ever and I find the instant access to friends to be kind of of a hindrance. When I lived at home, I could say "sorry, I already went home and I'm 30 miles away." Now that I live here, I have to be the nerd who says "no, I need to to go isolate myself and study," though of course it's not awful to say that.

Basically, YWMV, and it depends on how studious and focused you can be.
  • stressedoutttstressedouttt Registered User Posts: 4,111 Senior Member
    I think that personally living at home helps with studies, because you don't have to worry about laundry, food, and stuff like that. You have more time to dedicate to academics and other things.
  • VladenschlutteVladenschlutte Registered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    I never lived on Campus. My final semester I moved from about 7 miles from Campus to about 1.5 miles from Campus but that's the closest I ever was. My first semester it was extremely inconvenient because you have to have 55 credits to get a parking pass at my school, and the city buses don't run at night. It can be very inconvenient if you are in that situation. But once I got a parking pass I had all the same ability to study and learn that everyone else who lived on campus had.

Because I never did it, it actually seems weird to me to think about living in the student ghetto, and even weirder in a dorm.
This discussion has been closed.