Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Am I in trouble? I'm so scared?

CollegeisCakeCollegeisCake Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited September 2014 in College Life
So I got an e-mail this morning that said

"Good morning,

You have been scheduled for an Administrative Meeting on Wednesday, October 1st at 11am in the Residence Life Office (side of ********* Hall) to discuss concerns within ***** Hall.

Please be prompt for your meeting with me. I look forward to our discussion.

Sincerely, ********* ***********"

I was confused because I do not live in the hall that he mentioned, so I e-mailed him back asking if I got that e-mail by mistake, and he said

"Yes, I am aware that you are not a resident of ***** Hall. However, you have been a guest and I would like to discuss campus policies and expectations for guests during our meeting."

I am so scared. My friend lives in that hall, and I have only been there three times in my whole life (I'm a freshman), and I was accompanied by a resident of that hall each of those times too. Its the small honors hall they're talking about, so I'm not sure if a resident saw me and got concerned because I don't live there, or if they just don't like me. I feel so bad because I've never been in trouble in school before, and I want to get this off my chest, but I don't know how to explain it to anyone. I've been thinking about it all day, and its making me nervous. How did they know that I have been a guest there before? I'm sure there are hundreds of "guests" that come there. I'm so creeped out. I cannot believe I "concerned" a residence hall. That makes me feel so bad about myself.

Replies to: Am I in trouble? I'm so scared?

• jimmyboy23jimmyboy23 Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    The one thing I could think of is that you may have slept over without one of the roommates permission.

Basically all you have to do is cry and say you didn't know you were doing anything wrong and they will let you off with a stern warning.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,649 Super Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Did you have to sign in or swipe into the building? That might be how they know.

Don't worry too much! I used to be a residential hall director and have done these administrative/conduct meetings before. Usually if a student was being called in for something specific that they did we would tell them ahead of time - they would actually get a formal administrative action letter from us - so I'm surprised that they didn't announce in the email.

It's possible that the meeting has nothing to do with your conduct - "concerns within [the] hall" and "I would like to discuss campus policies and expectations for guests" might be like an interview about possible improvements or concerns within the hall that have nothing to do with you. It's also possible that something confidential happened in the hall one of the nights that you were there, and they want to know if you witnessed anything.

Either way, don't worry so much! During conduct meetings usually the hall director will ask you for your side of the story. You can just tell them that you have no idea why you're there. It could be a simple misunderstanding, or have nothing to do with you at all.

Oh - and there's no need for fake tears. I mean, don't worry if you cry for real, but don't MAKE yourself cry. Hall directors talk to literally hundreds of students a year; we can tell the difference between fake tears and real ones, and people who cry to try to get their way just irritate residential life staff. Just be yourself and be honest.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,397 Forum Champion
    Also think about what you were doing when you visited your friend. Did you just hang out? Did you drink/do drugs at all? Did you stay over?
This discussion has been closed.