Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

is physical education required?

raisinbran11raisinbran11 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
edited May 2006 in College Life
is a phys. ed. course required at every university in the country???
Post edited by raisinbran11 on

Replies to: is physical education required?

• Drew00Drew00 Registered User Posts: 2,964 Senior Member
    No.........
  • HelloKikiHelloKiki Registered User Posts: 691 Member
    Depends on the university and the degree. But I do know that not every university requires every degree to have Kinesiology credit.
  • Chrisr88Chrisr88 Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    It should be but no, more often than not it isn't.
  • ee_stuee_stu Registered User Posts: 482 Member
    Yes, I agree that there should be PE. And maybe a class on nutrition also since America is home of the obese.
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    ee_stu, I agree with you. Every HS and college should have mandatory PE all four years. very few actually do however.
  • kk06kk06 Registered User Posts: 554 Member
    we have 2 full credits of PE required in hs, but only 1 college i know of has anything like that - and it's a CC
    Oh, and I'm not advocating that everyone should strive to lose weight and look ideal. I'm extremely underweight myself and am working on putting on healthy weight. It's just that for those who would like to lose weight, just one intro class to nutrition will provide you with more insight and useful basic knowledge than a book on the next diet fad. Out of my 3 years' worth of GE, math and science classes, the nutrition class was most beneficial so far in terms of value per class unit.
  • pebblespebbles Registered User Posts: 2,617 Senior Member
    haha yeah, actually, @ MIT.

:)
  • dukeclassof09dukeclassof09 Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    Although some colleges require PE or nutrition, the idea is ridiculous. It isn't middle school; people eventually need to exercise personal responsibility over health, exercise, and nutrition.
  • AcceptedAlreadyAcceptedAlready Registered User Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
    Not at CMU but for computer science majors they require you to do things like watch a movie or go out and take a walk.
  • atmjunkatmjunk Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Like all requirements, it depends on the school.

I had to take 4 years of (state-wide required) PE in high school and then a semester in college. It was a total waste of time. If you're going to get fit, it needs to be your own choice and on your own time. You aren't going to have the state (or school) forcing you to work out 45 minutes a day when you're 50, are you?
    You're missing the point. PE courses, if required in college, are usually integrated into to the GE curriculum to broaden a student's education. It's to raise awareness and is no different, than say, Intercultural Studies.
  • fendergirlfendergirl Registered User Posts: 4,694 Senior Member
    we had to take 2 full credits of PE in college... whatever coures you wanted. You could take volleyball for 1/2 a credit, or softball for 1/2 a credit... etc.. i took a "concepts of physical fitness" which was sort of like a health/nutrition plus we did some activities like running and stuff.. that was a full credit, and i took bowling for my other full credit.
    Me too, I took s nutrition course to fulfill the GE requirement rather than taking the actual PE activity courses. The showers were broken and I didn't want to stink up my classes afterwards, lol.
  • kenshikenshi Registered User Posts: 600 Member
    back in the early 90's it was mandatory at FIU
This discussion has been closed.