Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UVA- Muslim students

2»

Replies to: UVA- Muslim students

• SoheilsSoheils Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    edited December 2015
    I do not know the rites for your denomination, but aren't you allowed to use a small container of water to perform vozo?
    Also, I am not aware of the exact details, but theoretically, you should be able to wait until the last minute for each prayer, then perform Tayamom with clean earth on the grounds of insufficient time.
    Sorry If what I said is not helpful.
  • saif235saif235 Registered User Posts: 1,047 Senior Member
    Honestly, unless there's a sink in your room there's not going to be much you can do about this especially since wudu is meant to be performed with running water.
    If you want to avoid the "why are you putting your feet in the sink" questions, you could wear leather socks after your first wudu (fajr or morning shower) and do mas'ah instead of washing the entire foot.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masah

@Soheils that may work from a purely practical perspective. However since prayer is a religious action exploiting loopholes is generally considered bad practice.

Disclaimer: I'm not a scholar, just a student so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
  • SoheilsSoheils Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    @saif235 vozo is supposed to be performed with running water? Is that a sunni thing? Sorry, I did not know.
  • MinicakeMinicake Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    @saif235 thank you soo much this is the answer I was looking for!!
  • saif235saif235 Registered User Posts: 1,047 Senior Member
    @Minicake no problem.

@Soheils the idea (as I understand it) is that the water you use for wudu is supposed to be clean. So using small pools of still water is generally looked down upon since you're basically trying to clean yourself in your own wet dirt - this is according to the sunni, hanafi denomination. However, using running water, or pouring water onto yourself from -for example- a bucket or bottle would be fine (as I understand it).
    Here's a whole list of permitted and prohibited water types:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wudu

Disclaimer: once again I'm not a scholar, just a student so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
This discussion has been closed.