Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UVA- Muslim students

MinicakeMinicake Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited December 2015 in College Life
Hello, I am planning to live in a single room however I see one big flaw NO BATHROOM in the dorm.

The issue is that I pray so it will be a big headache going from the outside bathroom then make wudu and then return to my room every day. I cannot get my own apartment because I cannot support myself and I don't want to live with other people (I am an introvert). So please share how you guys deal with this issue.

Replies to: UVA- Muslim students

• elliebhamelliebham Registered User Posts: 876 Member
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    You should reach out to the UVA's Muslim Student Association*. By the way, I'm an introvert and I shared a room. Wasn't a huge deal.

* http://msauva.com
  • MinicakeMinicake Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Thanks a lot

I believe there are different levels of an introvert, me begin very very very shy to people. I cannot deal with living with people who I don't know for years, but that doesn't mean I won't talk to them (I found that rude if I do that).
    Thank you and I will !!
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,020 Senior Member
    Can a freshman just ask for and get a single at UVA? That is not the case at most colleges unless you have a medical reason for the single. But maybe UVA does have singles for freshman. And... there are bathrooms in dorms. Usually either shared among some suite-style rooms, or down the hall. You never have to go out of the dorm, but you are going to have to leave your room.
    Sorry for not begin clear, I am a transferring into UVa (transfer student can have a single bedroom)
    Not medical, but religious reason.
    So what is the bathroom issue? Bathrooms are either shared with a few other rooms that have a suite-style living rom as well, or are down the hall. Common on all college campuses...
    I guess you have to be a Muslim to understand, we perform wudu (look it up on google to see the steps) before we pray and we pray 5 times a day so for a given month of 31 days that would be 155 visits to the bathroom just to make wudu.
    And prayer times change and where you are on Earth

http://www.islamicfinder.org/prayerDetail.php?country=USA&city=Washington&state=DC

Then of course people will ask why I do this, I just want to avoid this all together. So what I was trying to say was that is there any possible way to have a bathroom within my room, a single room, so it can be convenient for me to make wudu without leaving my bedroom? Much like how you have roommates who share the same bathroom without going down the hall. I was wondering if they had that feature in a single bedroom?
  • elliebhamelliebham Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    Have you called the Housing & Residence Life to ask?
    I just want to see if anyone here had an idea before making a call, if not I will ask them about this issue. But for as of now I am still not in the process of transferring (I am still studying in a C.C ) so when the time comes I will phone them.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    I've lived/worked in a muslim country. My colleagues would perform their ablution in the bathrooms on our floor, then take the elevator to a prayer room on a different floor. They did this every business day and didn't make a big deal about it.

UVA probably has other muslim students who don't make a big deal about walking down the hall.

• CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    I would hope so...
    Lots of times you are going to be away from your room at the right time (elsewhere on campus), I assume. So you will need to work that out anyway. I am also sure there are Muslims in the world that need to walk a considerable distance more than a few yards to a water supply for this.

That said, sometimes dorm rooms have sinks. You could ask housing about that.
    Ok I just see when I get there
    Oh, and if water isn't available then we perform tayammum
    Trust me if I have to go down the hall to preform wudu I will and if you met me in real life you won't hear me complaining, but all I am saying is that it would be more convenient. I am sure that the majority of Muslims who do pray 5 times a day (some pray less or not at all) will agree with me. They don't say anything to non-Muslims because they don't think they will understand instead they talk about it to another Muslim about it.

Look at it this way....
    If I were to ask you to get water from the well from the other side of town will you take a small container to transport the water or a large container? A large container so you'll take less trips to the well. Just want to make it easier.

If not, I just make do what I have. I posted it on here just to see if is possible if I can, that's all.
This discussion has been closed.