Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

In a way is college kind of an extension highschool?

2»

Replies to: In a way is college kind of an extension highschool?

• preamble1776preamble1776 Registered User Posts: 4,731 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Depends on your circumstances - the location of the school (urban, suburban, rural, overseas, etc), your living situation (commuter, on-campus, off-campus apartment, etc.) your involvement in extracurricular activities + athletics, your field of study, and so on and so forth.

Example: If you're from a small, rural public school in Iowa and you go out to NYC to study theatre at NYU, the contrast between the two experiences is probably going to be far more dramatic than a student from that same high school attending the local community college or commuter school 5 miles away.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,713 Senior Member
    I know a fair number of adults who still carry backpacks to work in the "real world". Heck, Josh Lyman carried one in The West Wing. :)
  • umcoe16umcoe16 Registered User Posts: 699 Member
    You cannot assume that college will be just like high school. It will be a much heavier workload. Exams will weigh more heavily on your grade. Courses will be at a much faster pace. You will have to be more responsible for your own learning. Your college GPA is likely going to be lower than your high school GPA.

When you start college, your classmates' academic performance in high school will be similar to yours. If you got mostly A's in high school, so did mostly everybody else who goes to your college. Not everybody will be getting A's in college. You may feel depressed when getting B's and below if you were a mostly A high school student, but you will have to adjust to the fact that a B+ is a good grade and a 3.5+ is a good GPA in college.
  • EarlVanDornEarlVanDorn Registered User Posts: 1,280 Senior Member
    Although I have good friends from high school, I really hated the whole experience. It's a lot like being in jail.

I loved college. There are so many people, that you can actually find people with whom you share a lot in common. For me it was the first time in my life to have a large group of friends who shared my interests and values. And in college you are in control of your time and life, for the most part.

Just think of it as hell vs. heaven.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,096 Senior Member
    Academically, you will see the following differences:

* You will be much more responsible for your own academic performance in college. Your teachers will expect you to be self-motivated, and will do far less things to make sure that you do not fall behind, like in high school (e.g. tracking attendance, more frequent smaller assignments, etc.).
    * At most colleges, there will be far fewer common courses that most students take. Your courses will be based heavily on your major and interests, which may be disjoint from those of many other students, whom you may never see in the same courses.

Socially, it depends a lot on your high school and college. However, the major difference, at least in the US, is that many college students who go to college right after high school will be transitioning to legal adulthood in most respects (except for purchase and possession of alcoholic beverages, which must wait until senior year for most traditional college students, although restrictions are widely ignored) at around the time they enter college. Some will be living away from their parents (or boarding school supervision) for the first time, so they must manage the rights and responsibilities that are new to them on their own.
  • ready4college78ready4college78 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Community College or even going to your local 4 year but living off campus at your home is just like high school IMO.
This discussion has been closed.