Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

In a way is college kind of an extension highschool?

kamenridermachkamenridermach Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
I mean I know of the whole living on campus things which makes me think of boarding school and the harder work,,I know of not having people hold your hand( I take IB) but can college be seen as a highschool extension?

Replies to: In a way is college kind of an extension highschool?

• GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    If you look at it that way, then EVERYTHING is an an extension of something.

Dinner is an extension of lunch.

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,989 Senior Member
    It depends on the college and the high school in question. My D2 is at a top STEM school across the country after graduation from a liberal arts type high school. It could not be more different for her. Some of her classmates go to a local second tier LAC -- for them, I think it is somewhat an extension of high school. They see some of the same classmates, class size and focus is similar, and they can go home when they want to.
  • WasatchWriterWasatchWriter Registered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    I hear students make that complaint quite frequently. But always from students who did not score well enough on AP tests to place out of GEN ED classes, or who did not dual-enroll in GEN ED classes while still in high school, or who place into remedial classes like pre-algebra.

Even if students don't place into remedial classes, some schools do a much better job with GEN ED classes than others. Take science courses, for example. One school might offer something really cool, like the chemistry of cooking. Other schools only offer watered-down versions of Intro to Chemistry, which is not very different from the chem you took in high school.

This is definitely something to consider when looking for colleges.
  • kamenridermachkamenridermach Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    How about canadian colleges like queens.
    Or like good colleges
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,112 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    I 2nd the idea that it depends on the school. For students whose engagement in high school had more to do with hanging at the mall or talking gossip with friends while hanging in a friend's basement-than it had to do with MUN or Robotics or Olympiad competitions and who go to their own state's public non-flagship schools with the friends they hung out with at the mall (or friend's basement) in high school, college is simply years 13,14,15,and 16. But for serious students who were engaged in academics in high school (meaning the topics studied and the activities in the school rather than gaming for A's), and who don't attend a directional public school in their state, college is very different from that and is filled with opportunities that a high school student has no access to (typically) and college for those students provides access to other scholars who were similarly engaged in high school and are maxing out on taking advantage of the opportunities available in college. I think students at colleges that don't emphasize grades and that fill its classes with high achieving students with an intellectual bent have the greatest chance for such a college experience.
    Well I go to an IB international private school in SA, how different would that be?
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,810 Senior Member
    It depends on the college that you go to, and how you approach it. As @intparent mentioned a lot of second tier colleges are a lot like the more academic secondary schools.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,832 Senior Member
    Sure, in that it is a continuation of your education.
  • ButtergreenButtergreen Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Eh, it depends.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 2,253 Senior Member
    There are major differences. First is independence. You will have fewer classes and typically will not attend every class everyday. No one will be calling your parents if you don't show up for class or do your homework and they won't be sharing grades. Normally homework is to prepare you, not a way to shore up a grade and if it is graded it will carry far less weight than it did in HS. You will be tested on things never covered in class and it will be expected that you are studying the book (assuming you have one). Your classes can be a lot larger (courses that nearly every freshmen take) or a lot smaller (courses in later years specific to your major). In HS most students are taking some version of a certain subjects whether it be math, english, science or art. In college especially by your junior year you and your peers can be studying very different topics.

Of course if you live on campus that is a new dynamic. You will need to learn to deal with roommates, their significant others, professors, TAs, advisers, and potential employers. By your junior year you will likely have your first apartment, and be preparing your own food.

There will be opportunities you didn't imagine in HS, such as study abroad, internships, research, clubs, sports, etc. You will be competing with students who are all at a similar level in most cases. Students who are in the top 10% of their HS class can end up being very average in college.On the other hand students can often find themselves and succeed in ways they never did in HS.

The similarity is that you are there to learn. They may do some coddling of you freshman year but after that you quickly realize they expect you to become the adult you are.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,989 Senior Member
    None of us know what your high school is like. The mix of nationalities, the class size, whether your planned major is something you are already heavily involved in coursework and ECs for, the size of your school as a whole, how rigorous the work is, the intellectual quality of your peers and teachers. High schools vary as much as colleges do. And "good colleges" is such a vague term. Princeton, Pomona, Caltech, and Berkeley are all "good colleges", but your experience would be quite different between them.
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Registered User Posts: 8,987 Senior Member
    There's no universal college experience by any means, so I can only comment on my own. I'm a commuter and my parents support me, so I don't think I've gained a lot of independence. However, I went to a small public high school and now I go to a research university, so the environment and the expectations are a lot different.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 3,949 Senior Member
    Whether or not you think it is an extension of high school has to do with your mindset and your experiences. In America, college is in many respects a form of "gradual release" into adulthood. It is a semi-structured environment, less structured than most high schools, and a transitional environment from living at home to living completely on your own. If you go into it with a positive mindset and are open to learning what the whole experience is there to teach you then you probably won't feel like it is the same as high school, but if you go into it thinking that it is just high school redone, you risk missing those opportunitites.
  • MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,754 Senior Member
    It is in some ways. You still have homework, exams, teachers, classes, backpacks, etc. It's not the real world yet.
This discussion has been closed.