Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I'm not really looking forward to going back to college

aaronashleyaaronashley Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
I had a decent first semester of college, my suitemates and I get along but aren't bffs, I had pretty easy classes so my GPA was great, and I got into an a cappella group which I love. But still, now that I'm leaving home to fly back to school (I'm 15 hour away by car), I'm not excited about going back. Most of my friends from home are missing things about college and are excited to go back, but I like my life at home better where I have lots of friends and family. I can be myself completely without trying so hard to make friendships happen like I do at school. Also, I know when I get back to school I have to apply for housing next year and I have no idea who to room with. I have a few friends and people who I hang out with (mostly from a Cappella) but nothing like the friendships from home. I know I'm lucky to go to such a great academic and beautiful school, but I'm often lonely and anxious there.

Replies to: I'm not really looking forward to going back to college

• NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 3,958 Senior Member
    This is perfectly normal, and I suspect that there are a lot of college freshman are feeling very similarly. The shine and excitement of starting college has been replaced by reality. In addition, you have had the chance to come home and be away from all of the stress and pressures of your new environment and be with family and friends that you surely missed and feel most comfortable with. It takes time to build relationships in a new place and learn everything that you need to learn to function on your own and do college.

It is important to just accept that the way you feel is the way your feel. Chat with your parents and even your friends about it, not so that they can change anything, but for understanding. i would venture to guess that deep inside some of your other college friends are conflicted even if there are things they miss at their schools. Your parents may also be able to help you sort out how to approach the housing/roommate situation.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 2,257 Senior Member
    I think this fairly common after your 1st semester. You come home, all your friends are home, it's fun and now you have to go back to environment that's work, somewhat stressful and you still feel out of place. Just remember that once break is over home isn't the same place. Friends will be back at school or work, family will start to focus on what they do and life will not return to what it was like in HS. You are in the process of creating a future for yourself. It's not always fun but it is an adventure. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.