Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Study: College Kids Spend A Fifth Of Class On Phones Instead Of Learning

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
"According to a new study, college students are spending one-fifth of their time in class on their cell phones or digital devices when they should be learning." …

Maybe they're taking notes.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/01/28/study-college-kids-spend-a-fifth-of-class-on-phones-instead-of-learning/

Replies to: Study: College Kids Spend A Fifth Of Class On Phones Instead Of Learning

• MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,754 Senior Member
    I don't think it's anything new. 20 years ago kids would probably spend 1/5 of class zoning out, whispering, reading a magazine under the desk etc.

The distraction has always been there. Why? It's boring to sit in a room and be talked at for an extended period of time.
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    As a prof, when students are on their phones, that's a hint to me that I need to step up my game.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,225 Forum Champion
    Nearly half reported surfing the web
    Does that include or exclude looking things up relevant to class (e.g. looking up the definition of a word, wikipediaing something, etc)?
This discussion has been closed.