Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Country Music at University of South Carolina

wooddrasticallywooddrastically Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
I wish to attend the University of South Carolina - Columbia but, unfortunately, I genuinely resent the country music genre. I love everything else about the campus life. It seems like a merely trivial flaw but I haven't tested out how long I can stand listening to it before my ears begin to bleed. How prevalent is country music at the University? Is it avoidable?

Replies to: Country Music at University of South Carolina

• Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 4,370 Senior Member
    Do you think students at Vanderbilt only listen to country?
  • JoblueJoblue Registered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    Dramatic much?

Wear earbuds and play only the music you like when you are in public or in the dormitory no matter where you are, you never know when someone might get the urge to play some Carrie Underwood or Blake Shelton. God forbid you should broaden your horizons in college.

Honestly, college is supposed to open your mind and your tastes. You really need to get over your silly rigidity if you expect to mature and grow
  • Tulanefan101Tulanefan101 Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    edited June 2016
    Do you think students at Columbia, Cornell, USC, UCLA only listen to hard rock, hiphop (kind of East Coast vs West Coast thingy)?...hip...hip...hooray?
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 2,257 Senior Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by you "resent" country music? Resentment implies that you somehow feel harmed or are offended in some way by country music. What has country music done to you? I can understand you not liking country music and not wanting to hear it. I can't speak to the ubiquity of country music in Columbia but I am sure there will be lots of different music styles for you to enjoy.
  • tropicalslushiestropicalslushies Registered User Posts: 397 Member
    I've been to Columbia. Carrie Underwood ties down random people and forces earbuds into their ears blaring Jesus Take the Wheel. No escape from country music. I am sorry.
  • DefensorDefensor Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    South Carolina is more diverse than the OP thinks. 41% of students come from out of state, including all 50 U.S. states and over 100 foreign countries. SC is in the top 3% of U.S. colleges in the nation for the highest number of black graduates. One can easily go 4 years at SC without hearing country music.
  • Belle315Belle315 Registered User Posts: 375 Member
    This reminds me of 20 years ago when, after finding out I lived in Atlanta, asked me how I could stand living on a farm.

Seriously?
  • Belle315Belle315 Registered User Posts: 375 Member
    Sorry, I meant to say when a guy from New Jersey asked how I could stand to live on a farm.

Don't know how to edit posts.
  • wooddrasticallywooddrastically Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    You guys are the best
This discussion has been closed.