right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How to quit a club

ruthrowawayruthrowaway 1 replies1 threads New Member
I joined a club last semester and took on a board role for the upcoming year. I want to quit the club because the subject matter doesn't interest me and there are better things I could be doing with my time. How do I quit without causing any bad blood despite taking on the role?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How to quit a club

• NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 4179 replies30 threads Senior Member
    Write a polite letter of resignation to the club leader and sponsor.
    · Reply · Share
  • tangentlinetangentline 1112 replies8 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    Opt out ASAP in time for re-election. Depends on the group, but often they will be accepting of your decision. Talk it over with your board so they're informed.
    edited July 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper 14126 replies100 threadsForum Champion CWRU Forum Champion
    It is better to resign professionally (look at the by-laws and see if there is a method they prefer, e.g., by letter) than to just stop going.
    · Reply · Share
  • bodanglesbodangles 8628 replies557 threads Senior Member
    ^ Agreed. I am still peeved at a member of book club who got an officer position and then didn't come once all year. I had an officer position, got shunted out to make room for the older people who wanted one, and then ONE NEVER CAME BACK.
    · Reply · Share
  • DreamSchlDropoutDreamSchlDropout 701 replies30 threads Member
    Definitely resign as professionally as you can. Follow the bylaws as @bopper recommends, and also stick around long enough to provide a smooth transition for your replacement, whether the bylaws require that of you or not.

In the business world, providing a smooth transition enables you to leave a company with a lot of goodwill (and typically some strong recommendations from your superiors). This is a great opportunity to begin developing that habit.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity