Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I report my roommates?

devrybounddevrybound Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
I live in an apartment with 4 other people. This summer, the 4 of them stayed at the apartment while I went to stay at my parents house. I'm planning on moving out this semester and am in the process of tenant replacement for my room. However, I went over to the apartment today to retrieve something and found that my room had been turned into a cat sanctuary. All my belongings were jammed into my closet, there's cat litter all over the floor, and cats sleeping on my bed that's riddled with cat food and cat piss. Did I mention there's a no-pet policy at my apartment? If I report this to the landlord, there's a chance that my roommates will be evicted. Since it's a joint lease, there's a chance that I might be thrown into this as well, even though I had nothing to do with it. The best case scenario of me reporting them is that they lose their cats, the worst case scenario is that we all get evicted. My emotional side is telling me to report them because I'm pissed as hell, but my rational side is telling me to let it go to avoid any evictions. What should I do?

Replies to: Should I report my roommates?

• whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    It likely won't result in an immediate eviction, but rather a three day cease and desist warning which can then escalate to eviction (depends on the state and your landlord).

Will you be taken off of the lease when you move out? If so you may just want to pass the buck assuming you can make the place not smell like cat piss. Given the cost associated with cleaning urine, you're likely looking at a lost security deposit.
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN Registered User Posts: 3,016 Senior Member
    When does the lease end and will you be able to find a new roommate to replace yourself with the room in that condition? Here is another thread about cats taking over an apartment.
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19150425#Comment_19150425
  • devrybounddevrybound Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    My lease ends in August and the new tenant will be moving in before then. I'm so angry that they didn't even take this into consideration. Another individual also warned me that I might lose my security deposit, but the bed is mine as well as the rest of the furniture in my room. I want to email the pictures to my landlord and request for the cats to be removed, but is it worth my security deposit? I honestly don't care if the cats remain in the house because I won't be living there anymore, but I'll feel really indignant if I just let this go.
  • noname87noname87 Registered User Posts: 1,198 Senior Member
    if your lease ends in August why are you looking for someone to take your spot?

Anyway, you have two options:

1) Call the landlord and report the situation. This will likely result in everybody losing their deposit.

2) Have an adult conversation with the roommates and try to get him to get rid of the cats and clean the mess up and repair any damage. In this way you might save your deposit. If they won't get rid of the cats, then report them to prevent future damage.

The issue is that some cats will mark their territory. To get rid of the urine smell, the landlord might need to replace the carpet, pad, and possibly the subfloor. He is not going to care who owes the cat. As far as he is concerned you are all responsible. He might also consider taking you to small claims court if the cost of the repairs exceeds the deposit.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,495 Senior Member
    If any of your belongings are ruined by the cats and their crap, I would insist on the roommates compensating you. Sounds like a weird group of people and glad you are extracting yourself from that situation.Sorry you have to deal with all this. I would be livid if I were you. Yeesh!
  • Sonya LiggettSonya Liggett Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    They should be following rules! Report!
This discussion has been closed.