Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Noticed something

j1998hj1998h Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
I attended my college's orientation back in June and I noticed something. People always say that everyone is your shoes when it comes to the first day of college and not knowing anyone. A majority of people at orientation were attending with friends that would also be going to the college. Is that rare? I just find it odd that a lot of people already knew others. You could tell that these people were friends from high school just based on their conversations (we were put in groups of about eight and I was the only one that didn't know anybody else in the group). I will be attending a state school that has plenty of students. My orientation session was only for undeclared students, but it still felt odd. A lot of these students were coming from hours away as well (it doesn't matter, but it does tell you that not all of them were from around that area). Just curious if this is normal.

I'm a loner, but hopefully college students are willing to make extra friends. I always feel like an outcast. Maybe it's abnormal to not know anyone from orientation lol. Thank you for your replies!

Replies to: Noticed something

• preamble1776preamble1776 Registered User Posts: 4,731 Senior Member
    If it is of any comfort to you, I had two orientation sessions for my school - one for the general freshman class and then one for the Honors College. I talked to and hung out with a lot of people at both sessions but I didn't actually end up befriending them in the long run (we drifted apart about one month into the first semester.) All of the actual friends I've made in college I made through classes and extracurriculars. Even kids who attended the same high school most likely will not remain super close. Don't worry too much. I wasn't a social butterfly in high school but I find that making friends in college is tremendously easier (people are typically more mature and laid back and it's a lot easier to find people who share the same interests as you through your major/minor, clubs, sports, etc.)
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    State schools often draw many students from the area. Since they're also usually large, though, you may never see anyone from your HS unless you as specifically plan to. I wouldn't worry -- even the ones with old friends want to make new ones.
  • ClaremontMomClaremontMom Registered User Posts: 2,401 Senior Member
    It really depends on your high school and college. I know for our HS there are certain colleges a large number of students end up at. So I wouldn't be surprised if they all saw each other at orientation. I think initially, and in that environment it is natural to seek out others you know. I would bet some of them weren't necessarily friends in HS but seeing a familiar face was comforting. But you will have plenty of people who really are looking to meet new people, including those that appeared to already have friends. You'll meet in class, your dorm and in EC's.
  • PhilpsychPhilpsych Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    Definitely agree with @preamble1776. There's only one girl I can think of that I met at orientation who's still one of my closest friends--but we didn't even reconnect until towards the end of freshman year. I'm also still really close with someone I met at one of those mixers in the first couple weeks, but even then we went a long time without talking to each other.

On the whole though, most of the people I'm closest to were people that I met right around spring break of freshman year, at the earliest. It's just one of those things that happens when you least expect it, you know?
This discussion has been closed.