right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

College is a step up from HS: 16 Tips on doing well in College

Replies to: College is a step up from HS: 16 Tips on doing well in College

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14378 replies103 threads Forum Champion
    Just bumped because i have had to post the link to this a dozen times in the past couple of days.
    · Reply · Share
    Bump for the new semester
    · Reply · Share
  • BennyBopBennyBop 100 replies4 threads Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    RATE MY PROFESSOR. This website is golden. Do not even think about signing-up for classes until you've carefully examined the prof in charge of each section. The capabilities, talent, and fairness of professors have an extreme amount of variation.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • annabanabelleannabanabelle 105 replies12 threads Junior Member
    @BennyBop

My friend was mocking me because I've built two ideal schedules for my freshman fall semester.

Go on and laugh man but when i register for classes on Friday I will be sooo ready.
    · Reply · Share
  • Seven_SecondsSeven_Seconds 9 replies0 threads New Member
    Thanks for the 16 points; very useful.
    · Reply · Share
  • SaltySnowflakeSaltySnowflake 3 replies0 threads New Member
    These are good recommendations! Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • LegitimatelyrichLegitimatelyrich 9 replies0 threads New Member
    Thanks I'm going to college soon and I'm going to use these tips thanks:)
    · Reply · Share
    This gives notes on how to read books/textbooks:
    https://pne.people.si.umich.edu/PDF/howtoread.pdf
    · Reply · Share
  • NASA2014NASA2014 2357 replies131 threads Senior Member
    What you mean by read the chapters? What if the chapters are long? Skim it through?
    · Reply · Share
    No I mean actually read the chapters of the textbook. If they are long..you still need to know the information.
    · Reply · Share
  • rofikicaferofikicafe 160 replies12 threads Junior Member
    wasn't there a book posted, how to get straight A's in college somewhere? I might want to order if anyone recalls the book I am referring to
    · Reply · Share
  • BingeWatcherBingeWatcher 984 replies7 threads Member
    @rofikicafe "How to become a straight A student: The unconventional strategies real college students use to score high while studying less" by Cal Newport.
    · Reply · Share
  • CiAMUniversityCiAMUniversity 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Be sure to check your Student Life and Services handbook to see what clubs and free activities are available for you. Also, be sure to take advantage of Teachers Assistants when you are struggling with homework and projects.
    · Reply · Share
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer 1156 replies3 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    Excellent suggestions,but I do have an issue with #11.

Life does require some socializing balance and perspective, even for entering freshman students. Sports and musical groups are just two outlets that I found useful as a first year student. The exercise actually helps learning and can be the nucleus of a student support group. Positive support networks, not drunken party bashes, are a necessary part of education for most students.

Yes, demanding colleges are usually a step up in work habits even for the "A" student so be ready for it.
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
    True, @retiredfarmer ...the key is "too much time" of course. When people start thinking that the fraternity or sorority or sports team is more important than academics for too long a period of time.
    · Reply · Share
  • ReligiousdudeReligiousdude 18 replies3 threads Junior Member
    This might seem like a dumb question, but why avoid anything other than academics at first? If you can balance yourseflf well, isn't it important to let loose once in a while and really relax?
    · Reply · Share
    There are some people that get really into clubs or work or sports to the exclusion of academics. If you can handle both, you are probably not here looking for help :-) Everything in moderation
    · Reply · Share
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer 1156 replies3 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    For some, but not all, sports are mental relaxation. Assuming you are not eating only junk food, the exercise tunes up your mind and body. Remember where the brain is. It is part of that same body!

Sound sleep helps too!

My own secondary school required all students to play sports to help optimize academic performance. When college came, it was just part of what education was about. Most of us (myself included) had not been the varsity athletes, but did grow into the blended system of exercise and study. That is why most universities have club or intramural sports. This is not a radical or a new idea. The Greeks practiced it in their "Gymnasium" and that's where the term Gym comes from. Today in Germany the public university preparatory schools are called Gymnasiums.

Over doing it at fraternity parties is another issue and should not be equated or confused with sports participation. Later, while working in an academic environment, many problems were worked out while jogging with co-workers. It is a function of working and studying with people who want to solve problems. We called ourselves the "foot pounders."
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity