Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College is a step up from HS: 16 Tips on doing well in College

124»

Replies to: College is a step up from HS: 16 Tips on doing well in College

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,685 Forum Champion
    From a professor:

"When I get a 4th year student from another discipline taking a 1st year lab they need to graduate, they follow instructions, hand things in on time, and get everything done with very little interaction with me. At open houses, the student volunteers (upper year students, mostly) advising potential students about how to succeed: "Go to all of your classes and do all of your assignments." SHOCKING!!!!!

We're DOOMED if this gets out; our secret will be revealed!!!!"
  • macarons30macarons30 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Wow this is amazing, thank you so much
  • rickle1rickle1 Registered User Posts: 1,594 Senior Member
    Great Stuff!!!

I love the message of treat this like a job. This is your full time job for four years. if you do well, you get promoted to your real job.

There is a lot more free time in college (than HS). You'll only be in actual classes a few hours a day vs. 8am - 3pm in HS. You'll also have many more choices.You'll want to be involved in a few ECs that you enjoy. You may have a part time job. Studying will likely take 2x-4x actual class time (another big difference from HS). How you spend your time is key. It's all quite doable. Just get organized.

Highly recommend using a planner and fill in blocks of time (classes, meetings, work out schedule, meals, intramural sports schedule, etc.) You'll find lots of empty blocks during the day where you can read a few chapters or write that essay. Homework doesn't need to all be done after dinner. If you're organized you can participate in several things, get all your work done without pulling all nighters.

I learned this when I was a student. I missed a semester due to health reasons and was determined to graduate "on time" with my buddies. That meant taking 18-21 units per semester for two years. Essentially I made sure the hour between classes was used wisely. Usually I would have already put in 3 or 4 hours of study time before meeting up with friends for dinner. Never missed any parties. Had as much fun as everyone else. Was just laser focused during the day (key for me was not going back to the dorms until dinner).

Recently heard an alum from S's school address newly admitted students at a local function. He shared the same message. He must have been better at it than me as he was a Rhodes Scholar.
  • kayleenrkayleenr Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    good information, thanks for sharing