Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Good National Fraternities?

Replies to: Good National Fraternities?

• ndhawkndhawk Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    Be a Phi, Be a Phi
    Phi Delt, do or die
    So **** you SAE
    And **** on Sigma Chi
  • harkkamharkkam Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    I am going to be a junior do you think I have a chance to join a fraternity, or will I only be the one rushing who is that old.
  • cavalier302cavalier302 Registered User Posts: 4,343 Senior Member
    Join a house that is good on your campus. Don't waste time looking into the national organization.
  • mercurymercury Registered User Posts: 908 Member
    This is a horrible question. Fraternities are completely different on different campuses. You can't possibly judge a fraternity by its national "reputation."
  • lindz0722lindz0722 Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    i agree completely with cavalier....fraternities are VERY different at different campuses, and the national organization really doesn't matter at all as far as the personalities of the individual chapters.
  • cavalier302cavalier302 Registered User Posts: 4,343 Senior Member
    Exactly. And most guys at good houses hate the national organizations, anyway.
    Well, the reason guys in the chapter hate nationals is because nationals always have their rules like no hazing or if they're dry then they have to be dry and maybe have some sort of live-in to keep things under control, etc. They also have to make sure they follow these rules so their chapter doesn't get kicked off campus. Once a year you'll also have some dude from nationals come to look over your chapter which sucks, because he'll nose through all your stuff and can come into every room looking for things and sits in on chapter to make sure you guys are taking care of what you're supposed to. It's not like we hate the fact that our fraternity is nationally one of the most elite.
  • lilybbloomlilybbloom Registered User Posts: 986 Member
    haha the phi delt guys at northwestern are kinda fun/sleazy, the type that make good friends but not boyfriends :)
  • harkkamharkkam Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    I am a Junior...do people pledge that late.
    I'm guessing you do not know many phi delts, or know that many well, which isnt surprising since our freshman class is smaller this year.

We were ranked #1 for getting laid in the purple book last year though, which I guess theoretically might have something to do with what you're talking about, haha.

To the dude above me, I have a friend thats a junior and pledged a frat this year, but it was because he transferred. If you transferred it should be okay just make good friends with guys in the house, although you'd have to do that no matter what year you are. If you're a regular junior then you must know enough people in your intended house to get in by now.
  • rifles4watierifles4watie Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Know this thread is old, but the national organization isn't a big deal because chapters can vary so much from campus to campus. The biggest fraternities nationwide are probably Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Alpha Tau Omega, and Sigma Phi Epsilon. The funny thing is though, all of those orgs have chapters at my school and none are among the top -- so bigger is not necessarily better.
  • boysx3boysx3 Registered User Posts: 5,164 Senior Member
    Is anyone familiar with Zeta Beta Tau, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Phi Kappa Sigma or Sigma Alpha Mu ? These are some at a local campus
  • BigredmedBigredmed Registered User Posts: 3,732 Senior Member
    Well all are historically Jewish (except for PKS as far as I know - but I could be wrong).

And TKE (Tau Kappa Epsilon) is the biggest joke of an organization known to any Greek. If you can't go greek, go TKE (pronounced teke). In their quest to be the biggest they long ago sacrificed any remnant of respect they had at a national level.

In addition to the other orgs mentioned by rifles, Beta Theta Pi, Phi Delta Theta, and Pi Kappa Alpha deserve to mentioned. But the point remains the same - the best chapter at your campus may not be one of those orgs.
  • k&sk&s Registered User Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    Phi Delta Theta (Phi Delt), Sigma Chi, Beta Theta Pi (Beta), Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE), Sigma Phi Epsilon (SigEp), Delta Tau Delta (Delt), Sigma Nu, Alpha Tau Omega (ATO), and Phi Gamma Delta (Fiji).

These fraternities have many strong chapters across the nation - but, as been stated a no. of times prior, ymmv at your particular school.
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    completely depends on your school. A bunch of frats listed previously on this thread as "good" frats are really not very good at the school I am in. Its pretty easy to figure out which the good frats are after a few weeks in school.
This discussion has been closed.