Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Good National Fraternities?

Replies to: Good National Fraternities?

• gprimegprime Registered User Posts: 485 Member
    Is anyone familiar with Zeta Beta Tau, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Phi Kappa Sigma or Sigma Alpha Mu ? These are some at a local campus

In my experience:

AEPi is a very good frat, especially for networking. And, contrary to popular belief, it is not exclusively Jewish. There are many chapters where goyim outnumber Jews.

SAM is fairly solid, but seems to have less successful than AEPi, which is its main competition. From the chapters I've delt with, they are much less open to goyim too. Not bad guys, but not exactly open.

Very little experience with PKS, though I've yet to hear anything bad about them.

ZBT is scum. I don't want to slander the national organism, but in the ones I've had the misfortune of dealing with, they are a huge source of binge drinking, date rape, sexual assault, drug use, and otherwise degenerate behavior.
  • Big SpoonBig Spoon Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am a member of Sigma phi Epsilon KS Delta. I am aware that everyone thinks their own fraternity is the best and frankly it would be weird if they didnt. I am shocked that we arnt event mentioned on this forum. Not only are we the largest national fraternity with over 250 chapters in all fifty states but we are the first national fraternity to break a 3.0 national average gpa. Not only that but we were the first to turn away from a pledge process and create three step no hazing membership development program called the balanced man project. Not only that but we invited other Fraternities to adopt our membership development model. The change of mem dev programs came because Fraternity membership was down. not only in Sigma Phi Epsilon but in most other fraternities as well. The program focuses not only on recruting new members but alsp in retaining them once they have joined. I am also aware that their might be some of our chapters that have a bad reputation but I also know that there is definately way more good than their is bad so I am totaly suprised that Sigma Phi Epsilon is not mentioned not even once.

Please feel free to write about the reputations of other sigma phi Epsilon chapters in the U.S good or bad. I am interested to know what the reps of some of the other chapters are.
  • Big SpoonBig Spoon Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I take that back we are listed on this forum. I just hadnt noticed it on the other pages
  • BigredmedBigredmed Registered User Posts: 3,732 Senior Member
    Well I'm glad at least one SigEp knows how to read...

J/k, a couple of really good friends in my medical school class are SigEps and are a credit to your organization.
  • Native NJNative NJ Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    Here's a list of every national fraternity in America. You can see which schools it has chapters at, then go to that school and to the individual chapter's website.

North-American Interfraternity Conference - Fraternity and Sorority Websites
  • taffytaffy - Posts: 2,356 Senior Member
    I am a member of Sigma phi Epsilon KS Delta. I am shocked that we arnt event mentioned on this forum.

we aren't talking about sororities...
  • bjb87bjb87 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I am an active member of Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) and I saw that a few people think that TKE is a joke, is a laughingstock, or exclusive.

I had never heard any of those characterizations of TKE before, and am I curious as to what TKE has done that has made people of think of TKE that way. TKE is the largest social fraternity in the world by total number of active chapters so I would say that is pretty awesome.

At the school I go to SigEp is the largest fraternity, and in the past few years have had the highest GPA most of the time. I agree that chapters of the same fraternity can differ significantly from college to college.
    The reason why TKE is largely ridiculed is because of exactly what you said. TKE, in their continuous effort to be the largest fraternity around. As a means to that goal, TKE long ago stopped caring where the chapters opened, so long as they opened, and as a result, you have a bunch of chapters at some pretty lame duck schools as far as being Greek goes. Further, the support struggling chapters receive from your nationals is non-existant - which I can understand - why help one chapter when you're going to have 10 more chapters next year?

The point is, a bunch of chapters with 10 or 14 members at a bunch of schools where 5% of the school is Greek isn't very impressive. It's the quantity vs. quality argument, and quality wins every time.

This isn't to say that you made a poor choice by joining TKE. Everyone has to make the best decision for themselves, and at your school, TKE may be a great chapter, but in terms of national reputations, this is the honest truth about TKE. This also isn't to say that people who go to small colleges with small greek populations don't deserve to be greek, or that their brotherhood/sisterhood is any less meaningful to them, just that there is a difference between what they experience and what a Greek at one of the BIG greek schools experiences.
  • p3ac3k33perp3ac3k33per Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    i hate these threads asking which chapters are strong or whatever nationally. When you sit here and ridicule someone's BROTHERHOOD, something that they put a lot of time, money, and passion into, you really look like a **** and you might as well have not pledged a fraternity at all because you don't seem to get the point.
    go through rush and find the fraternity you like best, not one that everyone else likes.
  • stonecold23stonecold23 Registered User Posts: 1,595 Senior Member
    joining a frat based on national reputation is meaningless, it varies entirely based on the school. A bunch of people here list phi delta theta as a good national frat, at my school, it is by far the lamest.
  • uscgirl310uscgirl310 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    a lot of people keep saying Sig Ep is strong, to most greeks sig ep is a big joke atleast down south. KA is probably the best fraternity nationally.
  • dieseldiesel Registered User Posts: 866 Member
    there's no point in joining a fraternity based on the national reputation, unless all you want in alumni connections, and in that case you shouldn't join any fraternity.

go to rush and see where you fit in. don't try to be something you're not, because you might fool some people for a while, but you won't forever. if it's something big and they find out while you're a pledge, you'll get balled. if it's after induction there's not much they can do, but you won't have a lot of brothers who are your friends...
    a lot of people keep saying Sig Ep is strong, to most greeks sig ep is a big joke atleast down south. KA is probably the best fraternity nationally.

Did your boyfriend tell you to say that?

KA Order is a joke nationally, considered nothing more than a bunch of Robert E. Lee worshiping rednecks who have the 'stars and bars' hanging in the back window of their pickup trucks. There's a reason they have only a handful of chapters outside of the South. Only 15 out of 131 of their chapters exist in states that weren't part of the Confederacy (Oklahoma didn't exist at the time but is 'southern' enough to assume they would have been Confederate at the time). You can't be the "best fraternity nationally" if you don't have a national presence. KA is nothing more than a regionally strong organization - not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's just the accurate truth.
  • matthewSAEmatthewSAE Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Everyone knwos SAE is the largest fraternity ever with 250,000+ members (our chapter is rather small only about 40). However I think SigEps are currently the largest and fastest growing. And Pikes are known to be the largest and mot dominanat at any given campus, however everyone knows what they're notorious for... must be some shady **** in the secrets of that fraternity.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Registered User Posts: 7,986 Senior Member
    did you really dig up a 6 month old thread just for that?
This discussion has been closed.