Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Good National Fraternities?

Replies to: Good National Fraternities?

• ring_of_firering_of_fire Registered User Posts: 391 Member
    Sig Ep isn't fratty at all. The whole "balanced man" concept is really anti-frat imo.
  • LQTMLQTM Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    I was offered a bid to colonize Chi Phi at my campus. I never heard about this fraternity. Is this a national or local organization? Anyone have experience with this fraternity? How's their reputation? I went to the official website and it seems that the fraternity is in its rebuilding stages as an organization. I'm senior who's graduaitng in December so I'm not sure if it's worth a being founding father. Any advice whether or not I should accept the bid would be great.
  • WantsBrownWantsBrown Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    why don't people just create new threads instead of reviving one that's pushing 4 years old?
  • LQTMLQTM Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    Because there's numerous threads on this topic. And your response is totally irrelevant to this thread.
  • gwu2013gwu2013 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    SAE is terrible at my school...

Sig Ep, Pike, SAE and Sigma Chi are the big four nationally FIJI, Phi Delt, DKE, KA etc are good and might be big in the south but they're nowhere near as strong as the other four nationally.

Sure the Greek system is strong in the south but how can you be considered a good strong national fraternity when your fraternity is a joke outside of the south?
  • FightOnTwistFightOnTwist Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    KA Order is a joke nationally, considered nothing more than a bunch of Robert E. Lee worshiping rednecks who have the 'stars and bars' hanging in the back window of their pickup trucks. There's a reason they have only a handful of chapters outside of the South. Only 15 out of 131 of their chapters exist in states that weren't part of the Confederacy (Oklahoma didn't exist at the time but is 'southern' enough to assume they would have been Confederate at the time). You can't be the "best fraternity nationally" if you don't have a national presence. KA is nothing more than a regionally strong organization - not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's just the accurate truth.

First off, this is extremely offensive to me. I'm not sure which chapters of our Order gave you this impression, but I can say that my time in KA was time well spent. You're grossly misinformed about our fraternity so I will set the record straight.

A.) The reason that we don't have much of a northern presence is because our national office has a "gentleman's" agreement with Kappa Alpha Society. They occupy (or did) most of the northeast and so, due to this, we don't colonize in the this area.

B.) Now that you know why we aren't located in the Northeast, reason should tell you that being a fraternity that was started in the south is going to have a strong southern base. Much of the middle of the United States is barren and does not possess a large amount of college life. National fraternities like Kappa Alpha Order are an organization. In an effort to micro-manage these organizations they break the chapters up into provinces so that they can effectively monitor them. If you don't have several universities in close proximity that which to charter a chapter then, from a business standpoint, it makes no sense to put an isolated chapter in the middle of nowhere because they're going to have to travel a lot further to attend national meetings and will most likely be unable to do so resulting in the loss of their charter.

C.) Stereotyping us as southern rednecks who drive pick-up trucks and rock the confederate flag is completely off-base. I AM a member of one of those chapters not located in the south. My chapter was located in Southern California. All of our members espoused the southern traditions of Kappa Alpha Order and we were primarily black and Mexican. As a white male, I was the minority in our chapter, yet we were treated with nothing but respect at national conventions.

D.) Yes, Robert E. Lee is our spiritual founder. However, if you knew anything at all about history or Robert E. Lee then you would be aware that the reason he fought for the south wasn't slavery. Lee fought for the south because it was his home and he felt it was his duty. Lee did not even own slaves. In case you wonder why we "worship" General Lee, it's because Lee took the university presidency at Washington College after the war. Washington College was where our fraternity was founded and developed. Lee, himself, helped our 4 founders, Ammen, and Stern get the fraternity going. He gave special permission for members to travel to other schools and help charter other chapters. He even sent letters to the presidents of their universities stating that the values of KA were things with which he personally agreed. Lee embodied a true gentleman, that is why we celebrate him as a person.

E.) ANY southern based fraternity is going to have members that espouse racist ideology. It's a simple fact. Some people who are born into prominent, southern, white families are going to be bigots. That does not mean that ALL members embrace racist ideology. Nor does it mean that entire chapters support their beliefs. Have I met members of Kappa Alpha Order who have had racists beliefs? Sure, I won't lie and say that I haven't. I've also met members of Theta Chi, Kappa Sigma, Alpha Gamma Rho, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, and more that have also been racist.

In summation, I'm guessing that you probably had a bad experience with a KA and have decided that we are all "redneck idiots." If you haven't met any then your opinion is completely unfounded and unwarranted. I would personally appreciate it if you would quit referring to my fraternity as a joke and a bunch of rednecks with guns and pick-up trucks. FYI, stereotyping people like that IS actually racist in-it-of-itself. It's a gross contradiction to the points you're trying to make.
  • cabhaxcabhax Registered User Posts: 765 Member
    "Sig Ep isn't fratty at all. The whole "balanced man" concept is really anti-frat imo."

You obviously don't know what you're talking about at all.

@FightOnTwist

So you would call these bigots your brothers then?
    "Sig Ep isn't fratty at all. The whole "balanced man" concept is really anti-frat imo."

You obviously don't know what you're talking about at all.

@FightOnTwist

So you would call these bigots your brothers then?

I'm not sure which portion of this post was directed towards me or AT me, so I'll respond to the entire thing. If any portion of my response wasn't intended toward me, please feel free to disregard that section of my post.

I NEVER use the term "fratty" or "frat" to describe anything. I don't condone those terms. Many fraternities have concepts like "Balanced Man" in place for a good reason. It's to dispel the Hollywood stereotypes which portray fraternity members in a negative light. I think that these programs are wonderful and applaud any and all fraternities which do there best to shed the idea that all members of fraternities are "beer swilling," "jock," "good old boys," who date rape at will.

Many fraternity members, such as myself, were highly motivated in academics. I graduated with honors and have pursued multiple graduate degrees. My overall goal is to obtain my Ph.D. and educate individuals at the higher institution level. Does this mean I can't party? Please, I can party with the best of them. I just conduct myself with dignity and respect for others while I do so. As I've stated in another thread, I have traveled to tons of college towns because many of my friends are getting J.D's and Ph.D's at universities across the U.S.. I have seen members of Kappa Alpha Order, whom I've never met, conducting themselves inappropriately in public and have given them our signal to indicate that they need to uphold the values of our Order at all times.

I've also seen members of other fraternities conduct themselves in a disgraceful manner. I believe it comes down to the individual. I, however, am not their brother's keeper. I am the keeper of anyone associated with Kappa Alpha Order, though.

As to whether or not I would call them my brother, yes. I firmly believe in the tenets of our fraternity. I agreed to certain principles and values upon taking the oath of initiation, just because someone is being a racist jackass does not mean that they aren't my fraternal brother.

Do I agree with ANY racist comments? Absolutely not and I would, and have, reminded members that racism has no place in our Order. If I were ever in a KA house that was participating in overtly racist activities, I would remind them of their duties as a gentleman and insist that they cease participation in these activities. Should they continue with their actions I would happily report such activity to our National Office and not feel bad about it in the slightest.

Just because a member of my fraternity is a racist doesn't make him any less my brother. Would I go out of my way to hang out with the guy? Absolutely not. I can't control what sort of bitterness he might harbor for individuals of other races. I can, however, control what he does while acting as a representative of our Order. If they choose to conduct themselves as a racist they ought to be expelled from our Order so that we don't have to call them brother. Any number 7 (Parliamentarian) of our Order that sees another member of his chapter acting as a racist and doesn't immediately bring him up on Major Offense charges ought to be removed from office and brought up on those same charges himself.

Racism has absolutely no place within society, let alone within Kappa Alpha Order. I would seriously hope that in 2010 people wouldn't be prejudiced, but it appears that some people are just that way.
  • cabhaxcabhax Registered User Posts: 765 Member
    I agree with everything you said.

I was just initiated into a Fraternity myself.
    Congratulations. Enjoy your time within your organization. Brotherhood will result in some of the greatest bonds you ever forge. Time spent with your brothers will, undoubtedly, last a lifetime. I encourage anyone and everyone to consider Greek life.

Prior to attending college I refused the notion of joining a fraternity and I looked like the last person on earth that would receive a bid from any. I can honestly say that I do not regret one moment of my time with Kappa Alpha Order. If I had to go back and do it all over again, I would in an instant. My only regret is that I waited until my second quarter of college to rush.

Everyone should seek out an organization that reflects who THEY are as a person. Kappa Alpha Order happened to be the organization which fit my personality the most. This does not mean my Order is for everyone. We clearly state that in our publications. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't try multiple houses and see which reflect your personal beliefs and value systems.

As I've already stated, the bonds of fraternal brotherhood are for LIFE. This is an organization and a group of members with whom you will have permanent ties. Be careful in your selection process.
  • Knights09Knights09 Registered User Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    Congratulations on your initiation cabhax. I hope you enjoy your time as an active brother of your fraternity, but remember being a brother doesn't end when you graduate.
  • silence_kitsilence_kit Registered User Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    I'm not sure which portion of this post was directed towards me or AT me, so I'll respond to the entire thing. If any portion of my response wasn't intended toward me, please feel free to disregard that section of my post.

I NEVER use the term "fratty" or "frat" to describe anything. I don't condone those terms. Many fraternities have concepts like "Balanced Man" in place for a good reason. It's to dispel the Hollywood stereotypes which portray fraternity members in a negative light. I think that these programs are wonderful and applaud any and all fraternities which do there best to shed the idea that all members of fraternities are "beer swilling," "jock," "good old boys," who date rape at will.

Many fraternity members, such as myself, were highly motivated in academics. I graduated with honors and have pursued multiple graduate degrees. My overall goal is to obtain my Ph.D. and educate individuals at the higher institution level. Does this mean I can't party? Please, I can party with the best of them. I just conduct myself with dignity and respect for others while I do so. As I've stated in another thread, I have traveled to tons of college towns because many of my friends are getting J.D's and Ph.D's at universities across the U.S.. I have seen members of Kappa Alpha Order, whom I've never met, conducting themselves inappropriately in public and have given them our signal to indicate that they need to uphold the values of our Order at all times.

I've also seen members of other fraternities conduct themselves in a disgraceful manner. I believe it comes down to the individual. I, however, am not their brother's keeper. I am the keeper of anyone associated with Kappa Alpha Order, though.

oh come on.
    Come on, what? Care to elaborate?
  • silence_kitsilence_kit Registered User Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    could you be more pompous about your fruity little club?
  • excelblueexcelblue Registered User Posts: 1,840 Senior Member
    In terms of national fraternities, their main point is to make sure that you have some sort of support from above and a solid network of people who share a common bond of friendship.

Just like how people in similar life situations share a bond in shared experiences, people in the same fraternities tend to have the same bond through a common ritual. Exactly what that bond is differs by the fraternity.

However, what I do have to say is that founding/colonizing a fraternity is very different from joining an already-existing one. As previously mentioned, different chapters of the same fraternity at different campuses are different because they're technically separate groups. As long as what you want out of your group is well in-line with the national fraternity's mission, you're good to go. The colony will morph itself, and you will play a huge role in shaping its culture.

Yes, it's exclusive, but I'd argue that close friendships are more exclusive. Try to view it as a "family away from home."

As for the particular question of Chi Phi: when I met some of the people from their nationals through some friends/contacts I met outside my own fraternity, they seem to be really cool. However, the chapter at my campus, which was recently shut down, had some issues of being quite "fratty." If you were to start a chapter, this reputation won't stick -- you'll be building it from ground up and it'll be what you make it.
This discussion has been closed.