Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Current college students-Microsoft Word?

Laurene99Laurene99 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
I have a question for current college students...

I'm going to buy Microsoft Word but wondering if I should spend more money and buy Office Home & Student instead? (This has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.)
Will I need all of those college, or is just Microsoft Word fine?

I'll be majoring in Political Science by the way.

Thanks! :)

Replies to: Current college students-Microsoft Word?

• rebeccarrebeccar Registered User Posts: 2,163 Senior Member
    Microsoft Word is fine. You could even probably get away with Google Docs if ya had to.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,550 Super Moderator
    Have you started college yet? If you haven't, I would hold off on buying Microsoft Word. Many colleges provide the entire Microsoft Office for free for their students, or give a discount. Wait until you get to campus in August/September and see if yours provides the program for free.

And/or you can use this tool to find out if your school has special pricing: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/edu

When I was in college, Microsoft also used to run this program called the Ultimate Steal, where if you had an .edu address you could buy a discounted version of Office for a pretty low price (back in the day it was $40-60 for everything in the Office suite). I'd poke around to see if that's still a thing, but the last year I can find information in is 2008.

Personally, if you are going to get Office I would recommend getting the Office suite, not just Word. You'll need Word most, but many classes require you to prepare PowerPoint presentations. Some political science classes may teach statistical analysis using Excel (although I would imagine these days most are using R or Stata). And OneNote is a good note-taking program to have. OneNote automatically saves all of your notes across devices.

Also, I notice you mention Office Home & Student, but quite frankly if you are going to get it I recommend getting the Office 365 (either personal or home) subscription. You pay $6.99 a month for Office 365 personal and you can install the entire suite onto one PC, one tablet, and one phone. (If you get Home, you pay $9.99 a month for 5 installs on each kind of device.)

In addition to Word, PowerPoint, OneNote and Excel, you get Publisher (which is great for making flyers and brochures and posters - I used it in some of my extracurriculars in college as well as to present posters at conferences), Outlook (a great email and calendaring program), and Access (which, frankly, you probably won't use). You also get 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage (which if you have a Windows PC will be automatically installed on your PC when you sign in with your MSFT account) and 60 Skype minutes per month. You also always get the most updated version of Office - s if Microsoft puts out Office 2019 in two years, you will automatically get that.

I must disclose that I am a Microsoft employee, although I don't work for Office - and I'm purely making recommendations on what I think is useful for a college student.

I also agree that the G Suite (Google's offering) is a pretty decent alternative to the Office suite, and it's free :) Before you arrive on campus you should try it out. They have a word processor (Docs), a spreadsheet program (Sheets), a presentation program (Slides), and of course their own Calendar and mail (Gmail) programs. They're all free. Google Drive storage is pretty low-cost if you want that. I prefer OneDrive because I think it's easier to use, but again...Microsoft employee. LOL!

But the bottom line is, don't buy anything before September, because you may not need to spend the money.
  • Laurene99Laurene99 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Ok thanks so much! I think I might wait until I start college, to see if I get a discount :)
  • nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Our K-12 school district gives out free licenses for students. Check to see if yours does as well.
This discussion has been closed.