Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Point of men/women only schools?

DerpthuluDerpthulu Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
sounds way too sexist to me , those kind of schools must be full of masculinists and feminists (modern meanings) what do you think?

Replies to: Point of men/women only schools?

• rebeccarrebeccar Registered User Posts: 2,165 Senior Member
    I completely disagree and am curious why you think it's sexist. Or are you just throwing that word around.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    You don't live in the US so I don't think you have a grasp of the place of US all-women's colleges. There are no all-male colleges.

Your gross generalization of women's colleges is foolish. Are you trying just to get people to argue?
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,372 Senior Member
    OP, what is the point of this post? Surprised the mods haven't closed this thread yet.

@T26E4 aren't Hampden-Sydney and Morehouse all male? Or did they close? Just curious.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    I forgot about Morehouse. You're correct. I've not heard of Hampden-Sydney before
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 726 Forum Champion
    edited December 2016
    Wabash College is all male also. There are many Christian seminaries and Jewish rabbinical yeshivas that are all male.
  • MarcusOSUMarcusOSU Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Because some of the all-women's colleges are the best in the country? Bryn Mawr, Wellesley, Barnard ...
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,743 Senior Member
    I have never even entertained the idea of going to an all-women's college (as a female) because I just tend to be more comfortable around guys. HOWEVER, I can understand the appeal and disagree with your view of them.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 22,917 Forum Champion
    All male and all female are nice fits for some students. If the OP is not interested in a single sex college, that is fine but no need to speak off of them without first hand knowledge of the particular schools.

And Hampden–Sydney College is all male. As an aside it is where Stephen Colbert started college (before he transferred to Northwestern for theater).
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 2,309 Senior Member
    The incidence of sexual assault is far lower at women's only colleges for obvious reasons. If someone believes the 1 in 5 rape statistics, I can see why they would be against sending their daughter to a co-ed school.
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 1,967 Senior Member
    @Derpthulu - Many women's colleges are among the strongest liberal arts schools in the country, and are places where women sometimes find it easier to find their voices (or not have them drowned out by their male colleagues).

Women's colleges have strong, dynamic and diverse student bodies and have produced a number of highly accomplished women: Hillary Rodham Clinton, Margaret Atwood, Katherine Hepburn, and Madeline Albright just to name a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alumnae_of_women's_colleges_in_the_United_States
  • silmarilsilmaril Registered User Posts: 345 Member
    In my opinion, the appeal of an all-women's college would probably be the emphasis on female role models and peers and creating a comfortable environment for women to thrive, especially in traditionally male dominated fields. I attended a talk by a woman called Eileen Pollack who discussed being one of the first two women to graduate with a physics degree from Yale and how difficult and discouraging it was to navigate a field dominated by men (and she ultimately decided not to pursue STEM as a career). So when you've got stories like that out there, I think it's perfectly reasonable that some women would want to avoid the possibility of experiences like those.

I'm sure there are many other reasons as well, but the one I mentioned is the most obvious one to me as a female myself (although I had no interest in attending an all-women's college). I think you should research such institutions before making such sweeping and hasty conclusions about them.

Honestly had no idea that all-men's colleges existed, so I will leave that topic to more knowledgeable people.
  • DerpthuluDerpthulu Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    @T26E4 there are many all male schools not just 2
  • DerpthuluDerpthulu Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    edited December 2016
    @Hamlon thats why i wrote MODERN TERMS. i know feminism originally means equality but not in modern world. i am FEMINIST my self, but not in modern terms.

well, which of the schools are sexist? of course there will be SOME, however we dont really live in 19th century now. are any ivies sexist?
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,092 Senior Member
    At least for some people attending a women's college, it's not about sexism existing or not existing in other schools. It's certainly not about rape statistics, as another poster mentioned. Feminism, modern or unmodern terminology (whatever that means) is also not the prime reason for many women.

Women are not monolithic in their choices and there are many reasons, I'm sure. However in my family's personal experience the main reasons to look at women's colleges are about 1) excellence in education coupled with 2) camaraderie that women's schools tend to provide, not just during college, but beyond.

Women's colleges tend to be small LACs with almost tutorial-type classes with professors, not TAs. The administrations are also more focused on individualized education of each student. Velvet-glove education with rigor.

While many of these things are available at some co-ed LACs, several of the best LACs are reserved for women. If you're a woman it would seem logical to include them in your list if you want excellent, individualized education in a strong close-knit community.
This discussion has been closed.