Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why is Washington & Lee not very popular among Asians?

EmailechoesEmailechoes Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited December 2016 in College Life
Considering its ranking and reviews, it's kinda odd this school is rarely considered among high-performing Asians. Does it have something to do its extraordinary Greek life and undercurrent racism associated with it?

Replies to: Why is Washington & Lee not very popular among Asians?

• vistajayvistajay Registered User Posts: 1,245 Senior Member
    No. Next question.

W&L is not diverse in any respect, not just Asians. The school tries, but it has not been successful. And so what? Every school does not have to be some magical blend of diversity of skin, ethnicity and thought. Wouldn't true diversity have a place for a school like W&L and whatever LAC is the exact opposite?
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Forum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Posts: 3,689 Forum Champion
    edited December 2016
    It looks like the link is being censored - look up "What is the stereotype of students at your school Washington and Lee" and it's the first link. Start on page 1.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,610 Senior Member
    We attended an info session with a black W&L adcom, and he responded that it was hard to get minorities to attend a school like W&L when so few other minorities attend. I totally believe that.

At our high school, many of the high performing Asian students prefer the public UC's because of the preponderance of Asians who attend.
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Forum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Posts: 3,689 Forum Champion
    @Zinhead

That very much reminds me of this - diversity is actually very hard to achieve when everyone wants it, let alone when people don't:
    http://ncase.me/polygons/
  • HappyAlumnusHappyAlumnus Registered User Posts: 1,199 Senior Member
    W&L has a reputation for being a preppy/conservative school, which perhaps does not appeal to groups outside upper-middle to upper-income Southern circles.

The OP seems pretty closed-minded ("Greek life = racism").
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,313 Senior Member
    To the OP's defense, most greek life, absent sororities and fraternities targeting people of color, hasn't been and still isn't very diverse.

I've known a handful of kids that have attended W&L. All have been very preppy & politically conservative.
    edited December 2016
    deleted
  • MarcusOSUMarcusOSU Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    edited December 2016
    The OP seems pretty closed-minded ("Greek life = racism").

No, OP is correct. Mainstream Greek life definitely brings with it a set of values, and racism is one of them. The Greeks are generally the ones who are close-minded.
  • corbeauxcorbeaux Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    I stayed at W&L for governor's school and I can say that it has a very Southern traditional feel. The Greek houses are prominently displayed, as is the church where Robert E. Lee was buried... I can see why students who don't fit into the Washington and Lee "mold" might feel uncomfortable, despite the quality of education.
    I suggest looking at the school store if you want a feel for its preppiness--it was like 50% Vineyard Vines lol
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,133 Senior Member
    doschicos wrote:
    To the OP's defense, most greek life, absent sororities and fraternities targeting people of color, hasn't been and still isn't very diverse.

Even houses that do target people of color are often non diverse (e.g. almost all black or almost all Asian). I.e. at many schools, fraternities and (especially) sororities tend to be quite segregated.

Whether or not this is true for W&L chapters specifically is a different question.
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    Scratching my head...Am I wrong or does WUSTL not show the breakdown for students as the following:

54% White
    31% Asian
    15% Black/Hispanic

How is 31% not diverse especially since the point of emphasis was on Asians?

• moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    Stanford shows:

42% White
    23% Asian
    14% Black/Hispanic
    @moscott This is Washington and Lee, not WUSTL

White: 83%
    Black: 2%
    Asian: 3%
    Hispanic: 4%
    Mixed: 2%
    Others: 6%
This discussion has been closed.