Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

College Life Does Not Mean Students Become Heavy Drinkers, Study Suggests

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,339 Senior Member
"... The research has used the data from the National Epidemiologic Study on Alcohol and Related Conditions for 8,645 non-high school young adults aged 18 to 30 years. In the past year, excessive drinking was defined as 10 or more standard drinks for men and 8 or more standard drinks for women, per occasion, according to Science Daily. Excessive drinking means more than 14 drinks for men per week and more than 7 drinks for women. Also the students who were living away from their parents and those who lived with their parents were compared to the non-students." ...

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/64865/20170213/college-life-necessarily-translate-heavy-drinking-study-suggests.htm

Replies to: College Life Does Not Mean Students Become Heavy Drinkers, Study Suggests

• ciervociervo Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    The "excessive drinking" definitions in this article are confusing because the author paraphased the source article incorrectly. The original Science Daily article said
    Excessive drinking in the past year was defined for men as ≥10 standard drinks per occasion and for women as ≥8) standard drinks per occasion. Exceeding weekly drinking guidelines was defined as >14 drinks per week for men and >7 drinks per week for women.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161230185402.htm
  • zobrowardzobroward Registered User Posts: 3,933 Senior Member
    it is silly when people say stuff like that ...as opposed to plumbers or bus drivers etc...

nothing to do with college...it is human nature.

ummm....well .....students are exposed to a lot of alcohol and they get drawn in.

yep..because plumbers, painters or butchers etc... they get no exposure to alcohol.
  • jdusterjduster Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    Goes to show that you can't make generalizations based on movie tropes.

Alcohol is unfortunately prevalent in most locations, but there are no shortage of uneducated people who drink. It's just not as comedic in movies to see a 28 year old factory worker get plastered at a bar and fight 3 people as it is to watch a college student waste his parents money.
  • dutchovendutchoven Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    The heavy drinking at college thing is a stereotype from movies. Although alcohol is all over my college campus, there are many highly educated students here that can handle drinking every once in a while. Also, there are many intelligent people that drink regularly. Alcohol is not that bad.
  • zobrowardzobroward Registered User Posts: 3,933 Senior Member
    jduster, we all know factory workers go to a run down smoke filled bar and drink for hours until finally breaking a beer bottle and fighting until the owner of the bar pulls out a shotgun and fires it into the ceiling and tells everyone pay up and go home to your families. you mean that scene played out in movies.. I have seen in a zillion times is not how most factory workers live. and speaking of bars and movies if i was a cop i go into a bar (during the daytime)and the all knowing bar tender is polishing shot glasses and i show him a picture and ask him have you seen this lady he responds I don't know I see a lot of ladies. so I either hand him a $20.00 or grab him by the head and smash his head into the bar and than he suddenly remembers who she is , where she lives, what she does and where I can find here right now. and than as I am walking out he says be careful her boyfriend is real dangerous.
    stereotypes are fun.
  • GoatGirl19GoatGirl19 Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    edited March 30
    Of course the mere fact of being a college student doesn't automatically mean you are a heavy drinker. Alcohol is definitely present on college campuses, often to an excessive amount, but there are many great students who drink responsibly, and many more who choose to avoid drinking at all. And there are places other than college where people in their mid-twenties can get together and drink massive amounts of poor-quality liquor.

Interestingly, the original article states that there is a positive correlation between student status and excessive drinking in student's early twenties, until social and demographic characteristics were controlled for. (doi: 10.1111/acer.13294)
  • million1million1 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    its funny to think like that , heavy drinks consumes by anybody, its none of the relation between student and college, moreover students have less consumption of alcohol as compared to mid 20s, also if you are in college that doesnt mean you have a badge of heavy driker.
  • million1million1 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    its funny to think like that , heavy drinks consumes by anybody, its none of the relation between student and college, moreover students have less consumption of alcohol as compared to mid 20s, also if you are in college that doesnt mean you have a badge of heavy driker.
  • sta3535sta3535 Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Not everyone becomes a heavy drinker when they attend college.

For me, I have control whenever I drink any form of alcohol. I don't find it fun to get wasted. I go until I get buzzed/tipsy.