Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Making student sign a "contract" in class?

paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 5,100 Senior Member
I have heard a rumor in my school that this one teacher makes students sign a contract saying that they won't question his grading. Is that even legal?

Replies to: Making student sign a "contract" in class?

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,385 Forum Champion
    If that happened, one could always talk to one's adviser or the department head about this and ask what they think.
    Also, every college has a grade appeals process...
    But also keep in mind from the professor's point of view, they may have many students that don't attend class, don't study, barely do the homework and then complain about a grade because the "tried really hard".
    Obviously if there was a mathematical error in grading the professor should address it.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,131 Super Moderator
    Perhaps you should confirm that this is more than just a rumor before getting up in arms about it.
    100% agree. Additionally, if the college has an appeal process, as mine does, a professor can say whatever he likes, but that does not mean it will be upheld. Institution trumps (no pun intended) individual professor.
This discussion has been closed.