Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Braces in college?

Replies to: Braces in college?

• spn2200spn2200 Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    I had a severe case and was able to get invisalign right when I started college. No one ever knew I wore them unless I told them.
  • Cash MomCash Mom Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    the cost from my son's braces were around $4,800.00. Our insurance only pays a max of $1,000.00
  • butterfly06butterfly06 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    guys what do you think about the whole braces thing?
  • lkf725lkf725 Registered User Posts: 4,781 Senior Member
    Cost must vary by area. The usual here is $3-$4K, and the clear brackets are only a few hundred dollars more. Invisalign is substantially more, though, and cannot correct every problem.
  • hakuna matatahakuna matata Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Thanks for replying about the cost. Now i'm not sure I can get one as soon as i want...
  • Raspberry HeavenRaspberry Heaven Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    Chill, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. People aren't going to think you're childish if you have braces in college, people aren't THAT immature (even if they were, they're not worth befriending). My sister got braces as a senior in high school and wore them as a freshman in college. She made it through just fine.
    Heck, I had braces as an adult...and I wasn't alone! I don't think anybody gives it a second thought these days. Not only is it common but the brackets and wires are very small and not very obtrusive. If you want to get it done, just do it! You may be partially covered by dental insurance and there are usually a variety of payment plans available.

Most orthodontists give a free consultation during which they will just examine your mouth and tell you what they think will need to be done and the approximate cost. Get a consultation from a few different practitioners and you will have a good idea of what you are in for.
  • stonecold23stonecold23 Registered User Posts: 1,595 Senior Member
    i woudlnt get braces in college unless you REALLY need them... like if ur teeth are only marginally bad, and if braces would help them only slightly then forget it

its different having braces in middle school and high scchool cuz its common and everyone does, but you dont want to stand out as the geek in the college with braces
  • tripperian35tripperian35 Registered User Posts: 1,153 Senior Member
    You're a geek if u have braces? Man ur shallow.
  • AUlostchickAUlostchick Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    Um, the hottest guy I know has braces (he's 20, will be 21 in a month) and he's definitely not a geek.
  • spn2200spn2200 Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    Invisalign is great if you can get it because you can go longer periods without having to go for check ups. The doctor can give you a handful of aligners to use between appointments. It was very convenient while I was away at school. The cost for mine was $6500.
  • mllestephaniemllestephanie Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    does invisalign work as well as regular braces?
    Invisalign cannot be used to correct every problem. You need a consultation to find out about your own case.
  • weasleyisourkingweasleyisourking Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    hey just get them. the later you get them in life the longer it takes and the more painful it gets. if you dont want braces in college, do you want them when you're working? i dont think it should be much of a problem image wise. i previously had braces (loved them, they made my teeth pretty!) and when i was at my new school and was making small talk with people, if they had braces, i'll be like "cool! i had them too! how many teeth did you have to get taken out? when will you be getting them removed etc"
  • babam11218716babam11218716 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    Well today I got my spacers put in. They are pretty annoying but not too bad. The only reason they hurt getting them put in was because the lady was using tongues to get them in and the little bands kept breaking. That means that the toungues were jamming into my gums everytime. Anyway, next week Ill be getting them put on and in the fall I will be at UGA. So we will see how this goes.
This discussion has been closed.