Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can someone explain what this advisory means?

polarrrizepolarrrize Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
So I'm reading through the course catalog for the college I'm attending in the fall. I'm going to be a freshman about to major in dance, and I just want to get this straight so I don't wind up confused when I need to register for classes. There is a dance improvisation class that has the advisory listed exactly as this: "Advisory: English 47A or English 48 and English 49, each with a grade of C or better, or equivalent, or assessment skill levels R5 and W5; dance 110A, 135A or 140A, each with a grade of C or better, or equivalent." My assessment skill level on the accuplacer did come out to be R5 and W5. However, I see the semi colon in between the "R5 and W5" and "dance 110A." So I was wondering if that meant I need to have the R5 and W5 assessment levels ALONG WITH dance 110A, 135A and 140A as a prerequisite, or if the R5 and W5 test result was good enough on its own in order to be eligible to take the class. Sorry if this is confusing, I just don't quite get it. Because I see another class that has this underneath it: "Advisory: Dance 110A, 120A, or 135A each with a grade of C or better, or equivalent Advisory: Completion of or concurrent enrollment in English 47A with a grade of C or better, or equivalent or Assessment Skill Levels R5 and W5" That description is much more obvious to me that you must have BOTH the prerequisite class as well as the assessment levels R5 and W5. What do you think?

Replies to: Can someone explain what this advisory means?

  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,306 Super Moderator
    I think you should call the school and ask.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,656 Senior Member
    Looks like it wants the English prerequisite (47A or (48 and 49) or (R5 and W5)) and one of the three dance class prerequisites (110A, 135A, or 140A). Check the department to be sure.
  • Ranza123Ranza123 Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    Agree with the above post; if it's a course you really want to take first semester, you can always email the instructor and ask if there's a way you could take it without the prerequisite. But there's most likely a reason why you should have the foundational course first, so my best recommendation would be to take one of those intro dance courses it requires as a prereq. Check other upper-level courses and see what the most common prerequisite course is and take that first semester so you're qualified to register for more classes later on.
This discussion has been closed.