Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Make much do you print every month?

that1chickkkthat1chickkk Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I herd at certain schools you get to print 200 free pages. I was thinking of buying a printer for my dorm, but not so sure yet. What's the most you guys have printed every month? 50-100 pages, 100-200? It sounds dumb but I know universities are waaaaay more competitive then CCs so maybe typing papers is 1000xs more lol so the printer is more convenient. Was looking at a HP printer where you pay for the ink $10 a month if you print 300 pages or $5 a month for $100 or $3 a month for 50pages.

Replies to: Make much do you print every month?

• masquerade98masquerade98 Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    I imagine it will depend quite a bit on what classes you're taking. For example a class that includes multiple research papers is going to significantly increase your printing needs.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,179 Super Moderator
    Make much do you print every month?
    10-20 pages, if that. Most documents at my college are submitted electronically.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,363 Forum Champion
    My kids had small printers n their college dorm. I think both got a certain amount of free printing from their school and typically printed out the bigger papers/projects in the library. Their dorm printer was helpful for when they finished up that paper in their room at night etc. And more and more things are submitted electronically but some professors still like to get hard copies.
  • Jamrock411Jamrock411 Registered User Posts: 498 Member
    It is highly dependent on your major (STEM vs Humanities), courses you are currently enrolled in, etc. At my daughter's university, they are allotted 100 free pages PER WEEK, while at my son's school, students are given $130 credit PER YEAR for copying/printing (black & white printing cost $0.05 per page=>2600 pages). All three of my kids did not bring a printer to college and used the school's free printing service.

Printers are fairly inexpensive, it is the <branded> ink cartridges that are costly. I would recommend that you wait until you get on campus to see whether it is cost effective (and/or convenient) to buy your own printer or use the free printing resources available at the school. You can always order a printer online and have it delivered to your dorm, when/if the need arises.
  • raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    It depends on the class. Sometimes you just submit your projects online.
  • FireflyLightsFireflyLights Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    edited July 2017
    It is hugely dependent on major. In the humanities, you will often have to print articles and papers and bring them to class, in addition to (usually) having to print and turn in all your papers in hardcopy. In one class, where we read a lot of articles and the professor didn't like us to have laptops open in class, I was printing 30-40 pages per class period. Sometimes you will have to print for science classes, but in my experience is is much less.
  • OrchidBloomOrchidBloom Registered User Posts: 910 Member
    Depends on the class. Most of my professors preferred hard-copy assignments and some also required us to print out handouts. I usually print around 20 pages/week, but there was one class for which I printed ~40 pages/week alone (biology class - I liked having the printed slides to take notes on, though I wouldn't have printed them if I didn't have my own printer). Printing at my university is not terribly expensive ($0.10 per single-sided black and white page, $0.12 for double-sided), but having my own printer is much more convenient and will pay for itself in the long-run (bought printer for ~$100, toner is ~$10/year).
  • CIEE83CIEE83 Registered User Posts: 636 Member
    Wait and see. D1 brought a printer that she shared with suitemates. D2 would not have had space in her dorm room for a printer and has never wanted one.
This discussion has been closed.