Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

too many labs?

somecarolinagirlsomecarolinagirl Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I'm currently enrolled in chemistry 101 w/ the corresponding lab and astronomy 101. I attempted to sign up for the astronomy lab, but my school prevents any student from taking more than one lab. My adviser says the astronomy lab is not necessary for the course but is she wrong? Should I drop astronomy or should I take it without the lab. I want to know if anyone feels that labs are necessary to doing well in the lecture.

Replies to: too many labs?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,199 Super Moderator
    My adviser says the astronomy lab is not necessary for the course but is she wrong?
    Depends upon the college. Although if the syllabus indicates that labs constitute X% of the final grade, I would interpret that to mean the labs are not optional.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,400 Forum Champion
    Email the professor for the Astronomy class and ask what they think. Start looking for another class and sign up for it. THen when school starts, drop astronomy or the other class.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,377 Forum Champion
    Contact the astronomy professor or the head of the astronomy department to find out for sure if the lab component is required for the course or if it is simply an add-on to the course. Look for a back-up course or two in case you can't take astronomy. IMO only allowing one lab a semester seems very rigid. It is not unusual for pre-med, engineering, STEM students take two lab classes in a semester (my D took 2 lab classes multiple times in her undergrad career).
This discussion has been closed.