Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

To what extent do connections determine your college success?

2»

Replies to: To what extent do connections determine your college success?

• TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,354 Senior Member
    I think we would find that parents who are professional in STEM fields are best able to give their children at-home educational support in STEM subjects and provide insight into those careers.

Regarding connections, LinkedIn is a visual reflection of how connected people are, when they might not have ever purposely networked. The daughter who got a job through an older student is definitely connected.(I did the same for an internship.) In the US, we are lucky to be able to build beyond just family connections.
  • jdusterjduster Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    I do think there are a lot of valid reasons given by posters above. To clarify, I define a "connection" as a close friend or family member who has a respectable rank in a skilled industry. For example, if my dad owns a business or is a manager of a company branch, he can get me in the door for a skilled job as soon as I complete a 4-year degree. A connection does not have to be a rich person or a politician.

I'm also not inferring that most 3rd+ generation white people are automatically richer than non-white people. However, if we look at perhaps the top third of 3rd+ generation white people, that is enough to skew the data.

My main point here is that don't assume that an X% chance of getting a skilled job within a particular major means that you have an X% chance. If you don't have connections in the industry (or people who know people), then your chances are X - Y%.
  • jdusterjduster Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    @TQfromtheU This is true. My girlfriend's brother is currently in a full scholarship at a top 20 university as an exceptional mathematician in a very exclusive program and poised to make at $200k in his first job. His father was a both a STEM graduate and was well positioned in the education bureaucracy. He was both able to teach his son how to study math from a very early age and coached him on how to apply to colleges in depth. If he had a father who was simply a math teacher at a public middle school, he probably would've done well, but most likely not nearly as well.
2»
This discussion has been closed.