Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

HELP: Double or single freshman year?

yerin2021yerin2021 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
I just got my freshman rooming assignment and I have a fiver person suite with two doubles, one single and a common room. My roommates were matched to me through an extensive housing survey so I think we will probably get along. We are responsible to decide who gets which room within the suite. Most of them want the single and we are probably going to draw straws to decide. I am really not that keeps on a single. I get very shy around new people so I was thinking wouldn't being in a ingle make me less close to the rest of the group? I feel like my suite mates who are rooming together would become close and I'd feel left out if I got the single. However, I also know that a ingle has lots of advantages. So what would you guys suggest? Should I opt out of the draw and use a double or try and get the single?

Replies to: HELP: Double or single freshman year?

• EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 1,234 Senior Member
    If you don't care that much about the single, let the others draw straws. What a great way to be flexible and get along with your new suite-mates!
  • Studious99Studious99 Registered User Posts: 911 Member
    Take the chance to have a double. It is more difficult to make friends in a single.
  • JMS357JMS357 Registered User Posts: 300 Member
    I can't really speak from experience since my roommate was my best friend from high school, but go for the double! Make some new friends and get to know them!
  • elenaidkelenaidk Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    When I was a freshman, they randomly paired me with a single roommate. She was okay to live with, annoying at times, and we were okay but never close like I hoped. I've known people who have disliked their roommates and some who become long time friends. If you think you'll need the extra push to make the friends, I would recommend just saying you'll go to a double room since you said you'll be drawing straws anyway. Or, if you participate in the straw draw you can always decide later. Being with your housemates is a great chance to make friends, as you will be living together and whatnot.
  • NothiegroNothiegro Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Do whatever you prefer. If you're an independent person who likes privacy or are afraid of not getting along with the others, I suggest you go for the single. If you're willing to give your roommates a chance and are indifferent about personal space/privacy, go for the double.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,398 Forum Champion
    It isn't a big deal either way -- but I do think a single in a suite is a great situation. You can mingle in the living room but if you want to study/sleep then you can go to your bedroom.
  • yerin2021yerin2021 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    Thank you all! In the nd, I decided to go with the double, if anyone.is curious.
This discussion has been closed.