Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Catching Up In Extracurriculars

natalia_bnmnatalia_bnm Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
I've gone to boarding school for the past two years, and I just moved and am getting ready to start my junior year at my first public high school. At different points in the past couple years, I have sort of been involved in Model UN, Debate Team, and Mock Trial. However, I haven't actually been able to do these thing and succeed in them. My model un team was really bad, and I was only able to participate in the other two things for a short amount of time. I really wanted to be heavily involved in my new school, and I also want to get into good schools; my top choice is Georgetown. How do I catch up to people who have been involved in all these activities all throughout high school? I really want to have a high school experience, and a big part of that for me is excelling in school, extracurriculars, and being part of the community. I start school in a month. What do I do??

Replies to: Catching Up In Extracurriculars

• srk2017srk2017 Registered User Posts: 1,954 Senior Member
    Since you were already exposed to 3 ECs, figure out which one has good team and/or support at new school and focus on that. You don't need multiple ECs.
  • masquerade98masquerade98 Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    Georgetown seems to prefer people who are more "pointy" in their ECs than round, so focusing on your existing ones would be more useful. Most colleges want to see commitment, not just the fact that you did a bunch of ECs.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,468 Forum Champion
    Check out "How to be a High School Superstar" by Cal Newport.

"The basic message of the book is this: Don't wear yourself out taking as many classes as you can and being involved in every club and sport. Instead, leave yourself enough free time to explore your interests. Cultivate one interest and make it into something special that will make you stand out among the other applicants and get you into the toughest schools, even if your grades and scores aren't stellar. Newport calls this the “relaxed superstar approach,” and he shows you how to really do this, breaking the process down into three principles, explained and illustrated with real life examples of students who got into top schools: (1) underscheduling—making sure you have copious amounts of free time to pursue interesting things, (2) focusing on one or two pursuits instead of trying to be a “jack of all trades,” and (3) innovation—developing an interesting and important activity or project in your area of interest. This fruit yielded by this strategy, an interesting life and real, meaningful achievements, is sure to help not only with college admissions, but getting a job, starting a business, or whatever your goals."

http://www.examiner.com/review/be-a-relaxed-high-school-superstar
This discussion has been closed.