Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sororities & Other Student Activities

FormationFormation Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
So I already know what college I am attending. I have received a full-ride scholarship to Ohio State University-Columbus and I am a Morril Scholar. My major or plan is to do a joint major in International Relations & Political Science. I have intentions of going to a competitive grad school. Having understood that I am going to other things to do outside of college, I have a couple of questions:

Sororities:
What are the benefits and drawbacks of joining a sorority?
As an African American girl would I encounter or have any problems joining a non-African American sorority? Especially if I plan on wearing my natural hair? I am not a fan of weaves and do not want a perm/relaxer. But because of that would I face problems?
As I am interested in Foreign Policy and Politics, would being in a sorority benefit me and my career choice?
What is the difference between a non-minority sorority vs "white" sorority? Is there really a difference?
Would being in one take away from my academics?
As a girl coming from poverty, would there be any classism problems?
Besides partying, what are the type of events that occur or are hosted?
Is it extremely expensive and is the cost worth it?

I know a lot of people say "Oh you should rush and then ask these questions", but even that process takes a lot of time & money investment. I also feel that truth might not be spoken. College Confidential is more of the type A students and parents of students like that, so I value CC's perspective.

Political Activities (Non-political):
So I have noticed that clubs like College Republicans or College Democrats you are working on campaigns, getting people to vote for a candidate and meeting different politicians. But things like the Model United Nations or Debate team focuses on skills, which is better? Clubs that help with connections or that help develop skills? I know there are other clubs besides political ones so It could expand out as well.

General questions:
Outside of class and studying how much time will I actually have?

Replies to: Sororities & Other Student Activities

• FormationFormation Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    Please add some insight anyone. I respect all opinions.
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,354 Senior Member
    Congratulations on your full ride scholarship. I don't have any connections to OSU but found a freshman orientation article their website about Greek life that also talks about the cost. http://u.osu.edu/uofye/tag/sororities/

Regarding whether your natural hair would be a issue, maybe look at photos of the groups over several years and see if they have the level of diversity you want.

Regarding activities vs skills development. I recommend Debate because I am familiar with the benefits through my DD and her Debate team mates. I would recommend looking at the background of a political figure who has achieved your goals and seek similar opportunities. Condoleezza Rice and Susan Rice come to mind immediately as recent examples of high achieving women on the international stage.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,240 Senior Member
    Be yourself when going through rush. If you like your hair natural, wear it natural. It shouldn't matter, and if it does that's not the house for you.

One benefit you may get from being in a sorority is a push if you run for student government. Greeks usually have a higher gpa than non Greek students.
    @TQfromtheU , What is your daughter majoring in? What are her career goals?
    @twoinanddone , is there a difference between an academic fraternity and an social one?
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,354 Senior Member
    @Formation - DD#2 is still in high school but I have seen that debate fosters excellent speaking skills and logical thought.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,240 Senior Member
    Yes, there is a difference. Academic fraternities are often called societies and based on your major - Electrical engineering, business, physics. Those are often by invitation and usually for students past your freshman year. They are most often co-ed.

Social fraternities are just that, based on a desire to share social, community service, and living experiences. If you choose one of the big national sororities, there will be a charity or philanthropic target (Heart Association, Red Cross, Reading is Fundamental, St. Jude's Hospital) and some of the activities will be for fundraising. It's likely the house will have a lot of activities like making homecoming floats, leadership weekends, ski weekends, guest speakers.
    edited February 2018
    Which would you say is better?
  • masquerade98masquerade98 Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    @Formation Can't speak for college dems/republicans, but collegiate Model UN is significantly more competitive than high school and is therefore much more valuable for resumes. I believe OSU also hosts their own collegiate and high school conferences, so getting involved in that would mean getting leadership and business skills as well, which are necessary wherever you go. Model UN on the collegiate circuit also puts you in contact with a lot of other people from other schools.

If you want networking and connections, interning over the summer or something is also an excellent way of doing so.
    @masquerade98 , what type of places to internship would you recommend?
  • masquerade98masquerade98 Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    Depends what's available. If there's a congressional home office nearby, that's always good. Your school's career center should have postings about available internship opportunities. Keep an eye out for opportunities that sound interesting, and apply to everything you can because you never know what might end up working out.
This discussion has been closed.